Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

my guess is a broken metal impeller piece inside of the WATER CIRC PUMP
Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I think BUP is hot on the trail. Was running a non-marine circ pump on my boat many years ago, and I started getting a weird noise from the front of the engine. When I pulled off the circ pump and took the back cover off, all that was left of the stamped steel impeller was a few little shards that were scraping the housing. Funny thing was that the boat wasn't running hot at all. The seawater pump moves enough water on its own that the circ pump is usually just along for the ride. Hell, I was probably saving a few HP not spinning the full impeller.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
Were you at Cumberland Thunder Run???

There was a boat in my fleet that had a chirp noise from exhaust. ...and somehow I got behind him at each stop. That chirping noise was driving me crazy!! LOL
Nope, wasn't me - I was at Green River Lake this past weekend. I have a complete thread with a video somewhere on this forum. It makes a similar sound to what you hear coming from some of the high HP, high compression drag cars when they are idling at the starting line.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your exhaust manifold gaskets.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Omg !!! I blew up an impeller on the trailer at the end of last season trying to winterize . It came apart because of a chip in the housing. I wasn't sure I got all the pieces out and it seemed to run a tad warm . WTF ...
Old 06-28-2016, 02:32 PM
BUP
Banned

It does not matter if the WATER CIRC PUMP front of the engine is a marine unit because alot people who never pull that hose to drain the water out completely when winterizing can end up cracking and or breaking off the METAL PORTION of the impeller inside the water circ pump. Have seen it plenty of times from improper winterization or owners who do not winterize. Also saltwater kills these pumps down the road.

I am NOT talking about the rubber impeller for inside a water pump impelling housing - I am talking about the water circ pump on the front side of the engine. It is called an IMPELLER AS well, it is metal.

Last edited by BUP; 06-28-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM
BUP
Banned

this view pic -

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/att...vents-pump.jpg
Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
BUP
Banned

found exactly what I was looking for - Mercruiser broken internal IMPELLER - the exact failures I see - pic below they make that exact sound clank a clank

http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/ballofs...28449fa739.jpg
Old 06-28-2016, 03:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I think BUP is hot on the trail. Was running a non-marine circ pump on my boat many years ago, and I started getting a weird noise from the front of the engine. When I pulled off the circ pump and took the back cover off, all that was left of the stamped steel impeller was a few little shards that were scraping the housing. Funny thing was that the boat wasn't running hot at all. The seawater pump moves enough water on its own that the circ pump is usually just along for the ride. Hell, I was probably saving a few HP not spinning the full impeller.
Post #5

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post4453774

Edit in: Oh, I get it. Same part, different issue. My bad.

Last edited by SB; 06-28-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Budman II;4453993]Negro flywheel would be a lot larger, right?

They are bigger from what people tell me, also they are cheaper to buy but much more expensive to own and performance is less than any other flywheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.