Pachanga 22 Build.. Help?! >

Pachanga 22 Build.. Help?!

Notices

Pachanga 22 Build.. Help?!

Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Higher RPM won't effect the drive. Torque will.

So......I know allabout the rest of the combo.....what heads do you really have ?

While you are better researching that, was your quadrajet tuned for that motor ? Jetting and rods need changing for low 300hp and up. TYpicallyPower valve springs for non stock camshafts, and Stock Needle and seat size will usually limit fuel flow for 400hp and up.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago when we had our first 383 in the Searay 185, there was a power problem. Turned out the number 7 intake valve was not adjusted properly and the valve wasn't opening. Funny thing is, you could hear it make any noise. Ended up re-adjusting all the valve ourselves and boom, all of the power back.

BTW our 383 was about 430hp with a JET worked over Quad. I tuned it on the dyno and changed the rear rods and hanger. I don't use it any more, if you are running a stock quad, I'll sell you mine for a reasonable price.

Also, I agree with SB on the heads. Even if they came bare and your builder assembled them, the seats would likely have been cut for the larger valves with the throats cut to match. The seats would have just been awaiting there final finish for the desired seat angles. I have AFR210s on my 413 procharger motor and sometimes with I would have gone with the 195s. I know it's to late to change, but those heads are to big for your application regardless of what anybody says to the contrary. It would have been all around better responsive and likely made more power with that cam, comp, displacement combination. At this point you are going to have to adjust your combo to facilitate the heads.

Last edited by ACrooks69; 07-23-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ACrooks69
Years ago when we had our first 383 in the Searay 185, there was a power problem. Turned out the number 7 intake valve was not adjusted properly and the valve wasn't opening. Funny thing is, you could hear it make any noise. Ended up re-adjusting all the valve ourselves and boom, all of the power back.

BTW our 383 was about 430hp with a JET worked over Quad. I tuned it on the dyno and changed the rear rods and hanger. I don't use it any more, if you are running a stock quad, I'll sell you mine for a reasonable price.

Also, I agree with SB on the heads. Even if they came bare and your builder assembled them, the seats would likely have been cut for the larger valves with the throats cut to match. The seats would have just been awaiting there final finish for the desired seat angles. I have AFR210s on my 413 procharger motor and sometimes with I would have gone with the 195s. I know it's to late to change, but those heads are to big for your application regardless of what anybody says to the contrary. It would have been all around better responsive and likely made more power with that cam, comp, displacement combination. At this point you are going to have to adjust your combo to facilitate the heads.
As a thought, He may be miles ahead at this point to pick up a pair of stock out of the box Vortec heads complete with 1.94/1.5 valves, replace the springs with the Comp "Bee Hives" and sell the heads he has. That what I used on my 355's and they work great.