Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
540ci 700hp build recipe >

540ci 700hp build recipe

Notices

540ci 700hp build recipe

Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best part about this hobby(same with diesel performance) is you can build slowly. You can go balls out and build a 25k 700hp beast... Or piece used parts together and build a 700hp Mill for 1/3 the price.That's what I love about it. All of my buddies I boat with just "order the parts!" I like to investigate... Search the marketplace... Then order... Dang... Half my boat is used parts! But... No payment... Just insurance. Sure I can spend my savings (not a big money guy yet) or max out a credit card.... But much more cost effective to find good used stuff on OSO

Last edited by monster12valve; 08-01-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

maybe he is the guy for cam choice then, seems there has been a few 700 hp recipes lately....

Originally Posted by Papasmurf
Just had a 540 EFI built making 720HP @ 6000 Dyno sheet and video of pull on my Sleeper thread. Everything new, from the Merlin III block to the 320CC Pro Filer Heads. Holley EFI complete system. Everything first class by Mark @ M E R Performance Marine.
Don't by a Holley system yourself unless your prepared to tune it yourself. Leave that to the pros, thats what we pay them for.
My advise.............sell everything you have, pick a builder, and let them decide what to use, instead of trying to make this cam work with that head, and then that intake. Save you a lot of sleep, money and headaches. Turn key engine with EFI will be north of 25K
Old 08-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
maybe he is the guy for cam choice then, seems there has been a few 700 hp recipes lately....
I'm going to let Ray handle mine. I want it to be done right, and have the piece of mind. and with some help (hopfully) from glass Dave... All my spiders can be fixed, and I will be in great shape next season!

Last edited by monster12valve; 08-01-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hear ya, wish I never heard of Bob M and did all my stuff with Ray and my buddy Scott, and Joe.
Originally Posted by monster12valve
I'm going to let Ray handle mine. I want it to be done right, and have the piece of mind. and with some help (hopfully) from glass Dave... All my spiders can be fixed, and I will be in great shape next season!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

I hear ya, wish I never heard of Bob M and did all my stuff with Ray and my buddy Scott, and Joe.
Yea I have read your entire build. I have seen your boat before up at Kelly's, it's a bada$$ boat and sounded good. And I work in North Olmsted and my crew (AT&T) services Olmsted Falls where I am pretty sure I have seen it before a little while back also. Def bada$$

Last edited by monster12valve; 08-01-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thx bud, probably seen it in back yard here lol

Originally Posted by monster12valve
Yea I have read your entire build. I have seen your boat before up at Kelly's, it's a bada$$ boat and sounded good. And I work in North Olmsted and my crew (AT&T) services Olmsted Falls where I am pretty sure I have seen it before a little while back also. Def bada$$
Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

[QUOTE=monster12valve;4466084]The best part about this hobby(same with diesel performance) is you can build slowly. You can go balls out and build a 25k 700hp beast... Or piece used parts together and build a 700hp Mill for 1/3 the price.That's what I love about it. All of my buddies I boat with just "order the parts!" I like to investigate... Search the marketplace... Then order... Dang... Half my boat is used parts! But... No payment... Just insurance. Sure I can spend my savings (not a big money guy yet) or max out a credit card.... But much more cost effective to find good used stuff on OSO[/QUOTE

Researching and broadening your mind is fun. So is the the no payment or maxing out credit cards. But you have insurance. Wtf. Ha
Old 08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Registered

I thought you had engine problems because you didn't check the lifter bores for the correct clearances, you just dropped them in and went. Dart blocks are notoriously tight from the factory. Another issue that may have contributed to your failure was the fact that you bolted your new heads on straight out of the box and didn't notice that the valve springs were different. Oh and also the fact that your water temp was under 100 degrees so everything was essentially cold and you ran the crap out of it. I mean Bob is a tool but you have to take some if not most of the responsibility for your failed motor. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,213 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Hey lets not fug up Monster12 thread with this BS, take it outside
Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbloc540
I thought you had engine problems because you didn't check the lifter bores for the correct clearances, you just dropped them in and went. Dart blocks are notoriously tight from the factory. Another issue that may have contributed to your failure was the fact that you bolted your new heads on straight out of the box and didn't notice that the valve springs were different. Oh and also the fact that your water temp was under 100 degrees so everything was essentially cold and you ran the crap out of it. I mean Bob is a tool but you have to take some if not most of the responsibility for your failed motor. Just my 2 cents.
My engines never go above 100 degrees. Been that way for many many years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.