Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
silent choice? "call me cheap" >

silent choice? "call me cheap"

Notices

silent choice? "call me cheap"

Old 10-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Joe Krumske

Default silent choice? "call me cheap"

I don't want to bore anyone on how long I've had to "save" just for the boat I have but I am one of the individuals that LOVES powerboating and have LIMITED funds. I purchased a 95 26' Velocity with a EFI 502 with every last penny I had. It has thru hull exhaust and I have already been approached by the "ole flashing lights" about the sound (WHICH I LOVE). Lucky enough not to be ticketed, I'm looking for alternatives. As for right now I CAN NOT afford the exhaust I want (CMI with Silent Choice). I'm fortunate enough to know someone who can make me some 4" turndown "stainless" pipes that I can attach to the outside of the tailpipes when in restricted areas (I've seen some boats with "plastic flex hose" attached). Anyone out there as cheap as ME?????????

Joe K. (MI HI)

Old 10-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe

Attached is a thread in the parts for sale forum of a scarab being parted out. There are two sets of Teague silent choice electric tips for $900 for both sets. Maybe he'd separate them

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...=silent+choice
Old 10-01-2002, 11:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

A set of Drew Marine Shotgun Mufflers will lower your noise by about 10db with no loss of power. That should be more than enough to get you legal. They're about 400 bucks.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya what Playn said as I know there was some one else that wanted a single pair.

As far as your tube idea I know some guys with some VERY high end boats that run that type of a set up.

I do know of some oen that just took their silent choice set up off a HP500 that may be interested in selling it. Let me know and I will contact him.

Jon
Old 10-02-2002, 06:50 AM
Offshore Addiction

happen to have a set of mercruiser silent choice for the inside turn downs,have the vacume pump also,or I have a set of tips that run off the same vacume pump that bolt on to you pipes,there stainless and are about 10 inches long......250 bucks either way.....we dont have noise restrictions here

Old 10-02-2002, 01:54 PM
hoodlum

Joe,

I'd check for a copy of the law if that's what you're concerned about. If I'm not mistaken the law here in good ole Michigan states that the db level will be checked from a certain distance rearward of the boat with the boat in it's loudest configuration regardless of mechanical devices. This means that silent choice won't make you legal.

p.s. that's not a direct quote but it's something like that.

Our local Lakefront property owner's association has been trying to supply the Marine deputies with db meters to prove that me and a few select others are illegal. Good thing is, it doesn't seem like the cops want to mess with it

good luck,
Scott

Last edited by hoodlum; 10-02-2002 at 01:57 PM.

Old 10-02-2002, 02:20 PM
290PQ

Ok, Don't laugh too loud but on my old 261 Liberator I used some 4" rubber exhaust hose connected to some 90 degree pvc elbows, then dropped it down just below the water line. when you were at idle or in a no wake zone it was super quiet as soon as you were up on plane it was like normal. It worked great and only cost about 40.00

Old 10-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Joe Krumske

HOODLUM Yeah, you're right. I should find out what the laws are. Most of it (besides the law crap) is that I do a LOT of travelin in the boat around Lake Michigan and find myself pulling into ports either REAL late or taking off REAL early. The noise has never bothered me but seems to bother other people between midnight and 7AM.

PLAYN. I did put in a reply for the teague tips THANKS

GRIFF & CANADA JEFF. As far as the shot gun mufflers go, for now, I'll probably stick to what I have until I can AFFORD what I want (CMI with SILENT). Hell, what I have now is stainless and shines like a mirror (10RA elecropolished). I just think it is gaughty sticking way out the back. I'd post pics but I'm still computer/camera illiterate.

Thanks for all the info

Joe K (MI HI)

Old 10-02-2002, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added a pair of short spiral insert mufflers to a pair of 525SCs with Gil exhausts and wet pipes. It took the obnoxious growl out and brought me to legal limits here in MO. No loss in top end either speed either. Cost was under $100/pair.
Gary
Old 10-02-2002, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe I have a used y pipe and some manual 4 inch diverts cheep