Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Gonna be alot of cams getting punted just like baxter did https://youtu.be/bxFASFPhegg
Old 10-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, I may be walking in your foot steps. my motors were new when I bought them in a older boat, owner died and I bought the package from wife. I thought they were new 502's and I ran them about 65 hours they ran very good so when I pulled them to put into a cigarette I bought without motors I thought I would make them better, that's when I called MK. turns out when I pulled them apart they were 540's. the heads I took off were Merlin 043c Grumpy Jenkins and the number on the cams read ZHR-296-2S-12-IG I may have spent a lot of money to be not much better than where I started? Damn an education costs a lot of money! now my motors are almost complete, a time when there should be happiness but after reading 100 pages of post I am kind of pissed.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Registered

Jsand117 heres the cams you had ?

http://crane.carshopinc.com/product_...d/76046/139021

Did you buy heads from bob too?

Bck has dyno time on his engines. Wonder if yanking the distributor and snaking in a bore scope to check the lobes out would be a good idea at this point for guys who have some run time on the cams. Most heads you can do it thru the valve cover, but afrs dont have much room to do that.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by jsand117
Tim, I may be walking in your foot steps. my motors were new when I bought them in a older boat, owner died and I bought the package from wife. I thought they were new 502's and I ran them about 65 hours they ran very good so when I pulled them to put into a cigarette I bought without motors I thought I would make them better, that's when I called MK. turns out when I pulled them apart they were 540's. the heads I took off were Merlin 043c Grumpy Jenkins and the number on the cams read ZHR-296-2S-12-IG I may have spent a lot of money to be not much better than where I started? Damn an education costs a lot of money! now my motors are almost complete, a time when there should be happiness but after reading 100 pages of post I am kind of pissed.
The only real good outcome after over 100 pages is your guaranteed to be much more educated on valvetrain stability, good proven grinds, shelf cams, etc. I wouldn't run the new ones. Call Bob and see what he'll do for you if you wipe some lobes out and or potentially something much worse. You put trust in a so called expert. Your not alone.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Bck has dyno time on his engines. Wonder if yanking the distributor and snaking in a bore scope to check the lobes out would be a good idea at this point for guys who have some run time on the cams. Most heads you can do it thru the valve cover, but afrs dont have much room to do that.
Probably gonna be a lot of that going on. Bore scope is a must in the tool box. Wonder how many hours when tims started to show signs?
Old 10-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
The only real good outcome after over 100 pages is your guaranteed to be much more educated on valvetrain stability, good proven grinds, shelf cams, etc. I wouldn't run the new ones. Call Bob and see what he'll do for you if you wipe some lobes out and or potentially something much worse. You put trust in a so called expert. Your not alone.
How much should we bet that he hears

"You'll be fine. Dont believe these internet morons, gravel haulers , troublemakers , googlers" . Then he'll get stats thrown at him, stating how he has 14,000 cams in the field, and a .007 % comeback rate. And how these cams that have shown issues, are from builder errors .
Old 10-02-2016, 11:37 PM
Registered

yes that is the cam I took out, was not sure exactly what it was. I did get the heads from MK. maybe I am lucky the shop that is putting my motors together was a little busy with end of the year race car motors that needed attention for the last few big shows and has yet to put my top ends on. at this point I don't know what to do? are the heads even assembled with the right parts? I trusted the knowledge of MK who pointed me in what I thought was the right direction. this sucks, I wanted to get to dyno in a few weeks.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Registered

This whole rise of a custom cam guru, him and his converts attacking anyone who questioned him or when people had issues and then the fall reminds me a lot of what happend in the SBF scene with Jay Allen/Camshaft Innovations.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Like this!!???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559970[/ATTACH]

How much should we bet that he hears

"You'll be fine. Dont believe these internet morons, gravel haulers , troublemakers , googlers" . Then he'll get stats thrown at him, stating how he has 14,000 cams in the field, and a .007 % comeback rate. And how these cams that have shown issues, are from builder errors .
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.png  
Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

you better ask that shop if they took the ready to bolt on and go heads apart and checked them out, I got my azz handed to me for exposing .0001 guises and Bobs cheerleaders and Bob said we were doing it wrong because he has hundreds of heads with no issues...then when we fouind one of my sets of heads to have SOLID ROLLER springs that I ran for 2 hours on Hydraulics, I was told "any builder knows to take them apart and redo them" well if that's the case why is he selling READY TO GO FOR MARINE USE HEADS???? nothing like spending 2800 a set for marine ready so I can take them apart and spend another 500+ a set doing the work they neded to be marine ready....

Originally Posted by jsand117
yes that is the cam I took out, was not sure exactly what it was. I did get the heads from MK. maybe I am lucky the shop that is putting my motors together was a little busy with end of the year race car motors that needed attention for the last few big shows and has yet to put my top ends on. at this point I don't know what to do? are the heads even assembled with the right parts? I trusted the knowledge of MK who pointed me in what I thought was the right direction. this sucks, I wanted to get to dyno in a few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.