Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I am wondering if the MK cams that have milder lifts are going to have the same issues with valvetrain harmonics and keeping the wheel on the lobe as we are apparently seeing with some of the more aggressive designs. Mine was relatively mild lift, only about .596 and .612. Now of course that had accordingly shorter durations on the lobes - 226* and 230* on a 114 LSA. Like I said, I have been hearing an odd chirping sound that appears to be coming from the exhaust, but I have not had the time to get out there to really diagnose the damned thing. Plan is to pull the heads and take them to a machine shop to take a look at guide clearances, since I never did that when I put it together. Tim's problems have me spooked enough to do this, along with the odd sound it has developed. Hoping to head any disasters off before they happen.

In all honestly, I am frustrated beyond belief to be spinning wrenches on a boat I hardly have the time to take out anymore. Truly tempted to drop a motor out of someone's Suburban in it.
Kinda similar to 731 cam. Like real close. Regardless looks like the ramp rate is a little less than tims but probably real close to others with the 241/246-660 lift cams that seem to be very common from Bob. Basically yours appear to be a junior version. I'd be most concerned with the cores and hardening process.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
All I said was lets have a drink every time someone says call Bob. He blew a gasket. Hence Butt Hurt Bobby, guy has no sense of humor. Yet it`s ok to hide known issues for years. How does he sleep at night?

Btw, where`s that Zone 5 guy? Over at Boatfreaks still in love with BHB?. Boatfreaks looooove them some magic Bobby cams.:
So nice to get PM's saying that my name and board have been dragged into this. Too bad I have never ever suggested that anyone buy a custom cam, and did not even use one in my own boat.

But I am glad to see that as much as you hate Boatfreaks that you keep trying to join. strange, you lied on the registration as I don't think your claim of being from NY is correct.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 4,813 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Dragged into this?? You always magically appeared when cams and Bob were mentioned but now that it doesn`t fit your narrative it`s a big bother. ok I see how that works.
Stop being a Nazi and banning people. Next time I`ll use a proxy server ... Wait no I won`t, that site is watching grass grow.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Registered

Dragged into this?? You always magically appeared when cams and Bob were mentioned but now that it doesn`t fit your narrative it`s a big bother. ok I see how that works.
Stop being a Nazi and banning people. Next time I`ll use a proxy server ... Wait no I won`t, that site is watching grass grow.
Its a private site, not a public one. The owners can do as they see fit. Have at it with a proxy. I have no idea why you would want access to a site that you hate so bad.

As is clear from the fact that I have ignored this thread until I was told 1080 posts in that you were up to your usual BS against me and BF's, I could care less about this thread. MK has sold us parts and thats it. and cams were never on that parts lists. My cam said Crane on it.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Kinda similar to 731 cam. Like real close. Regardless looks like the ramp rate is a little less than tims but probably real close to others with the 241/246-660 lift cams that seem to be very common from Bob. Basically yours appear to be a junior version. I'd be most concerned with the cores and hardening process.
Yes, it is similar to the 731. Never got the duration at .006 to tell me more about the ramp rates. All I have is the duration at .050, gross lift, open and closing events, etc. Guess I would have to get it on a Cam Doctor to know how aggressively it is opening the valves.

It has the copper coating on it, so pretty sure it is the 8620 billet core.

One thing I noticed when I ran this cam with a mechanical fuel pump is that it doesn't really look like the fuel pump pushrod is spinning. I am pretty sure that the fuel pump cam needs to be ground on an offset like they do with flat tappet cams to make the lifters or rods spin to prevent wear. When I ran it for a little while I was actually seeing a witness mark on the end of the rod. That is another thing that I will be checking when I get around to pulling it apart. I have read a lot of articles about people having problems with the brass tipped rods wearing out and mushrooming for mechanical FP applications. I have wondered if improper fuel pump lobe design is a contributing factor. Seems to reason that these should be ground on an offset like flat tappet lobes, not straight across like you would do for a roller tappet application.

Someone mentioned the possibility that LS cores were being used for cams with the LS firing order. Would it stand to reason that these cores would NOT have a fuel pump lobe?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully this thread will stay on target as an analysis thread about camshaft issues, and not digress into another flame thread that will have to be locked or deleted. Although extremely long, there is some useful information buried in here.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Who is zone 5?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 4,813 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Who is zone 5?
A dude that use to only come in here when there was a cam thread and defend Bob till death. But now that the truth is out 'he doesn`t care' and bob didn`t sell him a cam all of a sudden. .. thats convenient.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone heard from Bob? It be interesting to hear why these cams are showing lobe wear, and some being outperformed when back to back tests were completed vs another off the shelf camshaft. I've heard him critique others camshaft designs, it be interesting to hear.

Maybe its assembly error by some of the pro engine builders.

Maybe its the springs supplied by afr on his "custom" heads he gets machined especially for marine endurance applications. You know, the same ones that you can get from any afr dealer with a inconel valve upgrade.

Maybe its the builders secretly sabatoging the builds to make him look bad

Maybe its the cam companys fault

Maybe its the lifter companies fault

Maybe its the brand of oil used

Maybe its the block isnt thermally stable

Maybe its a big scam to put him out of business .

Maybe its the lifter bore clearance again.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Registered

A dude that use to only come in here when there was a cam thread and defend Bob till death. But now that the truth is out 'he doesn`t care' and bob didn`t sell him a cam all of a sudden. .. thats convenient.
I guess I must have missed where anywhere in internet land its posted that I have a MK cam or ever had. You make this BS up as you go along.

As I have said in multiple places, I and others I know have bought a ton of parts from Bob ( with ZERO issues), but that does not include cams.

I don't believe that I have ever told anyone to buy a custom cam. I very well may have told someone to call Bob if they had a question on multiple parts including cams. I also highly doubt that there is any post from me defending him, as there has never been a need to. If you think I'm getting in the middle of this thread and saying any opinion, you are sadly mistaken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.