Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Reminds me of the shop that replaced the seats and rebuilt my old heads. Install heights all over the place. However, those were 15 year old castings, that been thru a few hands. If the install heights varied that much on a new set of heads that never been cut, I would think that is , well, not so great. At the very least, even if the seat height varies that much, or like sutphen said, the casting itself having different heights of the spring perch, you would think that someone would go thru them, record all install heights with the retainer and locator installed, and shim accordingly, so at least, all the springs have equal pressures. .040 variance, is alot!

Any good shop worth its weight, would blueprint a set of heads so to speak, and check each valve. Not check one valve, throw 16 springs in there, and call it good.
Sounds like from an earlier post Tim had a place he was going to send heads off to correct. I'm assuming it's a combination of heat and other things we suspected has caused so much variance. One would assume with aluminum heads this is more apt to happen also. I just wonder if the material under the seat get mushroomed over or just evenly pressed in further. I have always bought bare castings and dropped at valakos door step but he always provides me with a spec sheet with more info than I care to know. This just seems excessive for amount of hours but then again... Nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
easier to run a tig torch around them and shrink them.then they fall out.
True but was looking for a chuckle. Does work though. I do my flywheel ring gears this way.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a question.

What do you guys think , is ideal spring pressures, for a hydraulic roller, pleasure application, that sees lots of idling time, and won't be turning more than 6000 RPM, with 11/32 valves. Naturally aspirated?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

On my 454's and a Crane 741 cam I used the Isky 8005-SP springs. Specs are 150 seat and 435 open, as far as I know, I never had any issues with the valve train.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran my MK cams for one season then pulled them due to abnormal lobe wear and the engines didn't make the power I was expecting. They kinda went flat after 5000 rpms.

Motors
605 inch blower motors with brodix bb3 xtraO heads.

Cam
254/262 at 50 duration 705/680 lift

The cam doctors numbers were farther off than what I would have expected. Cam doctor showed the cam to be larger by a few degrees at 50.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Registered

From crane cams. Thoughts on this ? I looked up the cam card on the "651" crane cam. Their recommended seat pressure is 132lbs, open pressure, 413 lbs.

3) HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMS require higher spring seat pressures to control the heavier roller tappets and the more aggressive opening and closing rates available to roller cam profiles.

a. Small Block applications: 120-145# seat pressure

b. Big Block applications: 130-165# seat pressure

4) HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMS use higher open pressures to control the high vertical opening inertia of the heavier roller followers.

a. Small Block applications need at least 260# for general driving applications up to 4000 RPM.

b. Moderate performance small block applications like 300-360# open.

c. Serious small block applications can tolerate 400-425#* open pressures and still expect
"reasonable" valve train life when top quality springs, pushrods, and lubricants are used.

d. Big Block applications need at least 280# for general driving applications up to 4000 RPM.

e. Moderate performance big block applications like 325-375# open pressure.

f. Serious big block performance applications can tolerate 450#* open pressure and still expect "reasonable" valve train life when top quality springs, pushrods, and lubricants are used.

*Note: Open pressures in excess of 360# require the use of roller tappet bodies made of billet steel. Crane hydraulic roller and solid roller tappets are made from 8620 bearing grade steel to withstand the stresses of high-performance use. Most stock hydraulic roller tappet bodies are made of cast iron and cannot tolerate high spring loads.

Open Pressures need to be high enough to control the valve train as the lifter goes over the nose of the cam. Ideally, the minimum amount of open pressure to eliminate or minimize valve train separation is desired. Any excess open pressure only contributes to pushrod flex,
which can aggravate valve train separation.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
I ran my MK cams for one season then pulled them due to abnormal lobe wear and the engines didn't make the power I was expecting. They kinda went flat after 5000 rpms.

Motors
605 inch blower motors with brodix bb3 xtraO heads.

Cam
254/262 at 50 duration 705/680 lift

The cam doctors numbers were farther off than what I would have expected. Cam doctor showed the cam to be larger by a few degrees at 50.
What power did they make at rpm? How much boost and was it intercooled? Thanks
Old 10-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

look up one of their 680 lift bbc cams and see what they recommend for spring pressures
Registered

Are bobs cams designed for a .700 lifter wheel, a .750 lifter wheel, or what? Does anyone know the answer to that? Or has that ever been a question? While a minute change, the lifter wheel diameter, does play a role in the actual cam timing. Not a ton, but, I mean we are talking about super secret squirrel custom cams, I would think that would be a consideration. The johnson lifter has a .700 wheel, morels, PBM, lunati, howards, upper end hyd rollers use a .750 wheel.
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
look up one of their 680 lift bbc cams and see what they recommend for spring pressures
hold please. I will check that extension

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.