Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

114 CC, I still can't find paperwork from when I redid heads, you know my Marine ready brand new bolt on heads that needed, all fixed up...so I do not know what Ray set IH at...

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Must have had some valves not closing all the way also. Could explain the overly rich looking chambers, down on power, chamber cc's? etc. Would be nice to know what installed height was suppose to be in comparison to what is shown.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

right, I am pretty sure Vistory did them right, never had an issue before, I am still digging for that paperwork... no luck yet..

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Reminds me of the shop that replaced the seats and rebuilt my old heads. Install heights all over the place. However, those were 15 year old castings, that been thru a few hands. If the install heights varied that much on a new set of heads that never been cut, I would think that is , well, not so great. At the very least, even if the seat height varies that much, or like sutphen said, the casting itself having different heights of the spring perch, you would think that someone would go thru them, record all install heights with the retainer and locator installed, and shim accordingly, so at least, all the springs have equal pressures. .040 variance, is alot!

Any good shop worth its weight, would blueprint a set of heads so to speak, and check each valve. Not check one valve, throw 16 springs in there, and call it good.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Are bobs cams designed for a .700 lifter wheel, a .750 lifter wheel, or what? Does anyone know the answer to that? Or has that ever been a question? While a minute change, the lifter wheel diameter, does play a role in the actual cam timing. Not a ton, but, I mean we are talking about super secret squirrel custom cams, I would think that would be a consideration. The johnson lifter has a .700 wheel, morels, PBM, lunati, howards, upper end hyd rollers use a .750 wheel.
Morel .750 in my 540's................ how about answering post 1146
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I know they checked each one at Victory, I was there for some of the work..

For sure. On mine, we checked all 32 springs. Sure enough, we found 1 spring out of spec.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
lots of idling on hose while playing with trans...
Oh my !

Sorry, just some funny relief. LOL.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Put an aluminum head to 475 and you will make junk.
Whatever. I've done with zero issues on both aluminum heads and flywheels. I'm not talking leaving in like baking a turkey all day. Unfortunately I live where most people vacation so very limited resources and occasionally tools in need turn up missing or get lent out when in need the most.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It was, trying to find my paperwork, the heads were totally redone when I took it apart.

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I thought this was all checked when the lifter stuck ?? before it went back together.......spring issues ect.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Oh my !

Sorry, just some funny relief. LOL.
Omg just got it.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
Morel .750 in my 540's................ how about answering post 1146
How about calming down? Jesus. I didnt assemble the guys heads, nor did i have anything to do with the assembly. He lives 4 hours from me .

It seems like some are trying to disprove, that their may be an issue here. Even if all this was tims fault, what about haxby? Mer ? Kvogt? Mr gadgets, black baja ,and so on? Are they all doing it wrong too?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

How about calming down? Jesus. I didnt assemble the guys heads, nor did i have anything to do with the assembly. He lives 4 hours from me .

It seems like some are trying to disprove, that their may be an issue here. Even if all this was tims fault, what about haxby? Mer ? Kvogt? Mr gadgets, black baja ,and so on? Are they all doing it wrong too?
That was not directed at you, I got my answer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.