Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

On that go around me, Rick with the No-Tech and Tom with the orange 42 Fountain all bought custom LS firing order flat nose blower cams. Mine and Rick's are out of the motors and Tom's were scheduled to be pulled but a new house purchase may push that to next year. I'm not a big Bob fan after all 6 motors didn't perform as expected or promised. I'm now running a Crane cam, Rick reground his cam and got his performance back plus some and Tom is still pissed that his boat doesn't run as good as it should. As far as customer service - We just moved on. If he messed it up this bad the first time why go back. BTW When Rick called him on his 7 mph loss after the cam install MK told him he was running the wrong oil and that was the cause.

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
So basically the custom cam you purchased underperformed and was unreliable.

How was Bob's customer service?

Would you do business with Marine Kinetics again?
Old 10-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I remember that. The custom heads built for marine spec per bob, that even AFR themselves recommend honing the guides to proper spec for marine use.
Looks like reversion in the intake from day 1...
Old 10-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
On that go around me, Rick with the No-Tech and Tom with the orange 42 Fountain all bought custom LS firing order flat nose blower cams. Mine and Rick's are out of the motors and Tom's were scheduled to be pulled but a new house purchase may push that to next year. I'm not a big Bob fan after all 6 motors didn't perform as expected or promised. I'm now running a Crane cam, Rick reground his cam and got his performance back plus some and Tom is still pissed that his boat doesn't run as good as it should. As far as customer service - We just moved on. If he messed it up this bad the first time why go back. BTW When Rick called him on his 7 mph loss after the cam install MK told him he was running the wrong oil and that was the cause.
Do you know where we can buy this 7mph in a bottle. I'll order 10 cases right now...
Old 10-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

Motors had crane 651 cams then during a freshening changed to a Bob cam. Next two seasons the best top speed was 7 mph less. Reground Bobs cams and found the 7 back plus 1 to 2mph. Blower speed did not change between the crane cam and Bobs but the boost went up 1 pound.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh , your running a supercharger? Cold water temps? Warm water temps? NA? no worries. 636 lift,680 lift , Your heads will be custom tailored for your application.

What does that consist of ? An inconel valve supplied with the head. No different than if you ordered them for a chevelle out of the summit catalog.

So, while it is often stressed the importance of selecting the proper spring, not only for pressures, but also for height/coil bind distance, that doesnt apply.

Afr gives you a spring. If lets say, the ideal distance from full stack, was .070, how does that work? If tims 680 lift lobe lets say was .080 from full stack, the other MK cammed engine running a 640 lift cam, is now 120 from full stack. They also will have different open pressures as well.

Bob fails to mention that when selling those heads. They are not a one size fits all bolt on piece.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I'll have to say my engines are pretty stout with MK cams, but they have beat the s#it out of my valve train. I never dynoed and maybe my heads have masked inadequate cams. I'm satisfied with the power, but upset about the lobe instability. I have snapped a few pushrod guides, trashed a rocker, gained lash and have have taken out a piston from a valve cause of lash. I have been mulling over the comp master lobe/cam book with my head guy the last few days.
Holy $hit!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

No ****! Wow

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Holy $hit!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

BTW When Rick called him on his 7 mph loss after the cam install MK told him he was running the wrong oil and that was the cause.
What oil can I run to pick up 7 mph- sounds like some magical stuff!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

You are not allowed to run straight 50.

Originally Posted by endeavour32
What oil can I run to pick up 7 mph- sounds like some magical stuff!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

You are not allowed to run straight 50.
Yes- when I had him spec my 439, he told me the same thing. "running 50 weight can kill up to 40 hp."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.