Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Morel started this oil weight thing as their answer to many people having problems with their lifters.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for Borgie to chime in, now that we are talking about oil?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

SB what lifters do you run? I bought morels is that a bad thing? What motors do you have? Boat?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 4,568 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Morel started this oil weight thing as their answer to many people having problems with their lifters.
Morel? or Bob because of all the valvetrain issues? I think the latter.
Morel doesn`t like straight 50 in the high rev lifters but that`s always been the case .
Don`t run straight 50 is just another excuse.

I`m running one motor with straight 50 and one with 20w50 .. absolutely no difference in rpm
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I'll have to say my engines are pretty stout with MK cams, but they have beat the s#it out of my valve train. I never dynoed and maybe my heads have masked inadequate cams. I'm satisfied with the power, but upset about the lobe instability. I have snapped a few pushrod guides, trashed a rocker, gained lash and have have taken out a piston from a valve cause of lash. I have been mulling over the comp master lobe/cam book with my head guy the last few days.
What CI you running now a days?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:38 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
SB what lifters do you run? I bought morels is that a bad thing? What motors do you have? Boat?
Before getting married 12 yrs ago, single 502. Yes boat and yes Morel's. I ran Rotella (before formulation change) 15w-40 with no issues. Very mild cam for selling reasons.

Now, downsized boat (thus why I mentioned the married thing $$$), small block at 6200rpm with GMPP lifters (they are great and cheap - wish they did same for bbc's) and VR 20W-50.

Been my experience lifter instability is much easier to reach with lighter weight oils. On the dyno, and more importantly at the track, with BBC's especially, a heavier oil will pull more rpm, increase mph at track, and show more power on the dyno. Comp cam, Isky, Crower, you name it. A special note to this is that this is before limited travel hydraulic lifters.

This is my imho: You use the weight oil that your engine wants for the environment it will be run in. Why would you run a lighter weight oil because of what the lifter company says ? Say the lifter company is right somehow, then I'd change lifters...not clearances.

Last edited by SB; 10-05-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I bought morels is that a bad thing?
There have been more people using them with success than having issues. However, since they have been the so called 'go to' lifter company for past 12 yrs say, there have also been a bunch of issues. Do a search engine search, lots and lots of stuff.

From what I have seen, and talking to many, is if you do have an issue, most of the time you get told by Morel to pound sand....it's your fault.

Edit in:
Isky used to be all Morel. Now they are not.
Teague used to be all Morel. Now they are not.
Would love to know 1st hand why.

Last edited by SB; 10-05-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Morel? or Bob because of all the valvetrain issues? I think the latter.
Morel doesn`t like straight 50 in the high rev lifters but that`s always been the case .
Don`t run straight 50 is just another excuse.

I`m running one motor with straight 50 and one with 20w50 .. absolutely no difference in rpm
I have never used straight 50W, so I don't know. Have 5w-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50. Nothing higher.

As the weight went up, the BBC's would pull a little more rpm before power falling off and the MPH (at the track) raising. Many different motors. And using same motors valve springs would be changed trying to get more rpm, but at a certain point if raising pressures rpm would come down, and lowering psi's would come down. The oil thing 1st started as a mistake if you will. A different vis was used for really no reason and the mph changed. It was a 'Huh, wtf ?" And then turned into a playing with this and finding best results.....as a lot of tuning (engine, chassis, boat, prop, etc,etc) can uncover...good or bad. After a while, one should start seeing trends on what works or not.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 AM
SB
Registered

You ever change the oil on something and it runs much stronger ? Many people call bullchit on this, but I don't. They say it's mental. I say whatever. If there is a gain, there is a gain. If I notice it, that is all what matters to me.People can thing/believe/experience their own thing. That's fine.

This statement above and all others I make on oil weight vs power or driveability is with using hyd lifters, as this is what is effected the most.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

SB I'm trying to learn from everyone and garner as much knowledge as possible. I'm asking in a nice manner what you have to offer? You keep mentioning the track. Also you had a mild cammed 502 12+ years ago. Safe to say a lot has changed since then in motors and parts. A smallblock now? What 600+ horsepower big blocks do you have in boats with several hundred hours? What boats are these? Are you an engine builder? Parts replacer? You may have answered these somewhere in the past and I didn't see. I apologize if that's the case. I'm trying to learn the most I can as I get my motors ready for my fountain. Dyno sheets of these motors you've built? Specific combos as far as induction/heads/cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.