Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

I bought 6 sets of morel's at once, 4 came back out because of noise. Noise would only go away if you ran 5-20 oil.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Who was it that talked about using a 4500 intake that has a 4150 bolt pattern also? I think if I can modify flame arrestor and gain the 1" the intake would benefit, maybe? I think I can cut 1/2" off winding of arrestor and make base flush
Old 10-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How about stop being a pus, and put some dam race style hatches on the thing , some solid rollers, and tunnel rams.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Lol tell my wife that haha

Nothing like redoing everything thanks to MK helping me!

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How about stop being a pus, and put some dam race style hatches on the thing , some solid rollers, and tunnel rams.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Oh yeah, and some new drives
Old 10-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow after reading this stuff, I think I'm just gonna get a Personal watercraft and have less cleanning, repairs, worries, etc. Does MK Spec out custom 2 stroke parts?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
Wow after reading this stuff, I think I'm just gonna get a Personal watercraft and have less cleanning, repairs, worries, etc. Does MK Spec out custom 2 stroke parts?
Good suggestion... Here you go. I love it when they suck my wank. I mean wake. My bad.

http://www.pwcforum.com/

Last edited by getrdunn; 10-05-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going to stay as far away from this thread as possible. However, when the Morels were brought up, I felt the need to post. I haven't been on much lately since we have been sooo busy. But, I came on and saw a thread with 120+ pages, so I thought I would have a look.
For probably close to 15 years, I was Morel's biggest cheer leader. However, in the last 6-12 months, something has changed. We have recently removed 8 sets of Morels in favor of both solids and Johnson lifters. Not only were the Morel lifters noisy as can be, but they drastically affected the way the engine ran. We tried everything under the sun to get them to act right, but nothing worked. I tried more preload, less preload, piss water for oil, didn't matter. It still ran and sounded like crap. This happened with both the "standard" and high rpm Morel's.
After fighting with them for over 2 weeks on the dyno, I finally gave up. This was a more aggressive then normal setup, so we just installed ISKY solids on the hyd cam. At that time, I started looking into the issue. I spent many nights reading forums (mostly automotive) and found at least 2 dozen cases with the same results, all in the last few months. What I found out was that Morel is now using the same internals in both the standard and high rpm lifters. Why would you even have 2 different sets at that point? The only difference is the body material. The high rpm has an 8620 body and the standard doesn't. Who cares?
I spoke with John Callies probably 20 times over a month period and got no where. At no point in time would he take any part of the blame or give any solution other than I have something wrong. Now, we have been using these lifters for well over 10 years with no issue. We aren't doing anything different, so I am confident that we aren't doing anything wrong. After getting no where with Morel, I had no choice other than to throw my hands up and go elsewhere. We have used several sets of Johnson's with no issues what so ever. Also, I can run any weight oil I want to. We haven't used any of them on an aggressive engine yet though. After fighting with the Morels for a month, I wasn't in the mood to experiment anymore. I knew that if I put an ISKY solid roller lifter in it that I would definitely not have a plunger problem. I have no reason to believe that the Johnson lifters won't work on the same engines that we used the Morels on. By aggressive, I'm referring to something making north of 1200 hp, on pump gas with a hyd roller in the 250+/260+/ .650 area with north of 500 lbs of spring pressure over the nose. I will try them shortly though.
Eddie
Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I was going to stay as far away from this thread as possible. However, when the Morels were brought up, I felt the need to post. I haven't been on much lately since we have been sooo busy. But, I came on and saw a thread with 120+ pages, so I thought I would have a look.
For probably close to 15 years, I was Morel's biggest cheer leader. However, in the last 6-12 months, something has changed. We have recently removed 8 sets of Morels in favor of both solids and Johnson lifters. Not only were the Morel lifters noisy as can be, but they drastically affected the way the engine ran. We tried everything under the sun to get them to act right, but nothing worked. I tried more preload, less preload, piss water for oil, didn't matter. It still ran and sounded like crap. This happened with both the "standard" and high rpm Morel's.
After fighting with them for over 2 weeks on the dyno, I finally gave up. This was a more aggressive then normal setup, so we just installed ISKY solids on the hyd cam. At that time, I started looking into the issue. I spent many nights reading forums (mostly automotive) and found at least 2 dozen cases with the same results, all in the last few months. What I found out was that Morel is now using the same internals in both the standard and high rpm lifters. Why would you even have 2 different sets at that point? The only difference is the body material. The high rpm has an 8620 body and the standard doesn't. Who cares?
I spoke with John Callies probably 20 times over a month period and got no where. At no point in time would he take any part of the blame or give any solution other than I have something wrong. Now, we have been using these lifters for well over 10 years with no issue. We aren't doing anything different, so I am confident that we aren't doing anything wrong. After getting no where with Morel, I had no choice other than to throw my hands up and go elsewhere. We have used several sets of Johnson's with no issues what so ever. Also, I can run any weight oil I want to. We haven't used any of them on an aggressive engine yet though. After fighting with the Morels for a month, I wasn't in the mood to experiment anymore. I knew that if I put an ISKY solid roller lifter in it that I would definitely not have a plunger problem. I have no reason to believe that the Johnson lifters won't work on the same engines that we used the Morels on. By aggressive, I'm referring to something making north of 1200 hp, on pump gas with a hyd roller in the 250+/260+/ .650 area with north of 500 lbs of spring pressure over the nose. I will try them shortly though.
Eddie
Thanks for the post and info and update. I know a shop down state more power racing is still using cranes to this day with excellent results and rarely a failure. 25 years. Not trying to bring another to the table just thought I'd mention it. I myself am done with hyd lifters at this point anyway. Haven't had a good history with them and gets time consuming chasing valvetrain problems.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

EY - thank you ! Great info.

Bonus to this your info makes me more believable...maybe..probably not....lol.

Last edited by SB; 10-05-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.