Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

No doubt 100% bill and his dad make some serious good power, wish I talked to him before bob, hindsight....
Old 09-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd like to see the flow data. I'm sure those heads flow very well with some work. I certainly don't think AFR heads are bad, but I do think they are often hyped up, as if they are the only heads that can make power.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

There's a lot to be gained power wise in the intake manifolds also. I did all the cam& head work but felt there was more in it. I sent my intake with the Head & cam# to Wilson manifolds it made every work together
Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
My buddy bill said pull heads and intakes send to his dad, flow and port them, get perfect factual numbers, order a solid roller off that and make much more HP, my question there is how much more? Or do I run what I got to 150-200 hours and do that then at refresh time?
I'd pull the heads and have Billy's dad do his thing.
If there is evidence of valvetrain instability or excessive wear that you think is from the cam, THEN look into changing the cam.
Changing the cam just because others have reported issues, without evidence of problems of your own after 60 plus hours there is no real reason to change the cams. Even if you could gain 40HP, you won't net any significant gain once in the water.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's all if I have the funds at the time, I have other places to spend money also, 1000 to change cams is one thing, 6000 to redo heads up is different...

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I'd pull the heads and have Billy's dad do his thing.
If there is evidence of valvetrain instability or excessive wear that you think is from the cam, THEN look into changing the cam.
Changing the cam just because others have reported issues, without evidence of problems of your own after 60 plus hours there is no real reason to change the cams. Even if you could gain 40HP, you won't net any significant gain once in the water.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
It's all if I have the funds at the time, I have other places to spend money also, 1000 to change cams is one thing, 6000 to redo heads up is different...
You can get new billet HYD rollers, for less than 1000 dollars. I wanna say the last price I got for a lunati billet with iron gear, was under 400 each.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Even better... A 30 hp gain on each side would at least get me a tad over my old engines and then I'm happier and redo the rest later or just put pro chargers on

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You can get new billet HYD rollers, for less than 1000 dollars. I wanna say the last price I got for a lunati billet with iron gear, was under 400 each.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'd like to see the flow data. I'm sure those heads flow very well with some work. I certainly don't think AFR heads are bad, but I do think they are often hyped up, as if they are the only heads that can make power.
Here are the numbers for the BB2plus heads:
Old 09-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill called me, might be pulling heads and intakes going to dad Klein ... Deciding if gains to be had will be worth money spent, I question carb and intake not being dominator a he's convinced I don't need doms to see gains... Said my carb flows plenty but for proper can I need exact flow numbers not advertised.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good move Tim!
Maximize what you already have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.