Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Heres a thread I had started about tims combo, in another forum. If anyones interested.

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=1&t=47746

Good idea MT to start thread on speedtalk. Some good info coming in from individuals who knew nothing of thread on OSO. Newold1 among others talk in our language and some good guys there. I'm glad some took the initiative in finding the thread here but would like to have seen the look on some of their faces while reading and getting caught up on thread.

Btw. So what cores are being used for sure. I see one today claims to have 8660. Some say 8620, Now looks like I'm hearing 5140??? Also who determines what build gets what core if were dealing with mostly hyd roller cams so close in lobes?
Old 10-06-2016, 03:20 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
100% truth, BCK... you might wanna check stuff out or replace them cams, I was told to last year before I saw hard proof, I took a chance and ran mine all season, LUCKILY Joe talked me into checking and here we are.... now I have to redo heads up because of Bob great long term combo.... I am glad I got it before I had to hear "told ya so" when a valve hit a piston and wiped out a shortblock costing me even more money...
Just noticed this now from so many pages ago. I did check them out twice while on the dyno while swapping intakes and lifters. Now granted that was only dyno time but they looked fine. The cams in the old engines looked good as well despite the other engine problems. I believe I'm running higher spring pressures with the Isky tool rooms than you are. I never checked the spring pressure with the old build so I don't know what came on the heads from AFR.

Last edited by bck; 10-06-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I like how back when bob asked our friend joe, to provide him with an invoice, with what i and icdedppl paid for our daytona boxes, and that he would match that price and beat it. I gave that info to our buddy, in which he forwarded it to bob. The next day, we get a call from our local machine shop that we bought them from, explaining how he got yelled at by the owner of daytona for selling them at that price. Bob did that, because he was pizzed that we purchased 6 ign setups, and didnt go thru him. As well i how here on oso, i told a few who were looking at those boxes, to call the local shop, and they would give an oso discount. How dare i step on bobs toes being he was an advertiser here, and a daytona dealer. Then he got really angry, when he specd out 3 bar map sensors for my buddys setup, that i was going to be programming , when i told my buddy he needed to call bob, and exchange for 2 bar units. So , he calls bob, and bob in his usual stern tone of voice, tells my buddy, "you need a 3bar map if you want to have a 3d timing curve " . My buddy joe, not knowing better calls me back, and tells me that. Getting aggravated, i simply said, well maybe you neef to have bob build you a map then. Needless to say, the 2 bar came , and all went well.

Whats even better about that, is i have helped out at least 7 of his customers who purchased those boxes from him, and needed help setting them up, building and uploading maps, and so on. Which i do not mind doing to help a fellow boater out. The question is, why arent they having bob do that for him, h3es the one selling them, making a profit on them, and yet, it seems as if theres no support .

I could go on about how he was selling those boxes on someone elses account, and that whole story, but Im sure people are getting bored of hearing stories.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You gotta give it Bob @ Marine Kinetics thou. ARB69 read all these first hand account of issues not only with Tim but all the other professional builders and ol SLick BHB has him believing it`s everyone elses fault but Marine Kinetics.
I wish I could hire a guy like that (except the crook part) He could sell an AC to a Eskimo!
I bought the cams and installed them long before this all started.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:34 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I like how back when bob asked our friend joe, to provide him with an invoice, with what i and icdedppl paid for our daytona boxes, and that he would match that price and beat it. I gave that info to our buddy, in which he forwarded it to bob. The next day, we get a call from our local machine shop that we bought them from, explaining how he got yelled at by the owner of daytona for selling them at that price. Bob did that, because he was pizzed that we purchased 6 ign setups, and didnt go thru him. As well i how here on oso, i told a few who were looking at those boxes, to call the local shop, and they would give an oso discount. How dare i step on bobs toes being he was an advertiser here, and a daytona dealer. Then he got really angry, when he specd out 3 bar map sensors for my buddys setup, that i was going to be programming , when i told my buddy he needed to call bob, and exchange for 2 bar units. So , he calls bob, and bob in his usual stern tone of voice, tells my buddy, "you need a 3bar map if you want to have a 3d timing curve " . My buddy joe, not knowing better calls me back, and tells me that. Getting aggravated, i simply said, well maybe you neef to have bob build you a map then. Needless to say, the 2 bar came , and all went well.

Whats even better about that, is i have helped out at least 7 of his customers who purchased those boxes from him, and needed help setting them up, building and uploading maps, and so on. Which i do not mind doing to help a fellow boater out. The question is, why arent they having bob do that for him, h3es the one selling them, making a profit on them, and yet, it seems as if theres no support .

I could go on about how he was selling those boxes on someone elses account, and that whole story, but Im sure people are getting bored of hearing stories.
I also bought Daytona boxes at a very good price and mentioned it to a couple people. One of them ( a pro engine builder that we all know) said he would be calling Daytona to tell the owner. So apparently more people have a problem with that than you expect.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ARB38
I bought the cams and installed them long before this all started.
Not referencing you buying the cams but the fact you've been reassured by a scam artist there is no problems. It's always someone else's fault.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I also bought Daytona boxes at a very good price and mentioned it to a couple people. One of them ( a pro engine builder that we all know) said he would be calling Daytona to tell the owner. So apparently more people have a problem with that than you expect.
So, in otherwords, because the shop we have spent thousands with on machine work, gave us a good price on the boxes , makes it ok for bob to do what he did?

If thats the case, and daytona doesnt like it, they can shove their boxes up their azz for all i care. Ill go with a different product.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the Daytona boxes deal goes.....
I had the same thing happen with a pair of Kooks headers.
Bought them for a smokin deal from an online speed shop, but before I did, I called Kooks directly to see about buying them direct. Got chewed out and Kooks wanted the name of the vender selling them on the cheap.

I didn't give up the guy I bought them from.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Not referencing you buying the cams but the fact you've been reassured by a scam artist there is no problems. It's always someone else's fault.
Actually the reassurance came from Cam Motion for me.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:56 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Not saying it was ok for him to do it. What I'm saying is I had someone other than Bob call Daytona and complain about it. So it's not just one person who does it. Edit- I even explained that the only reason I bought the Daytonas was because of that price (already had Crane) and at his price he wouldn't have got the sale anyway, so he didn't lose anything by being undercut.

Last edited by bck; 10-06-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.