Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I have not been home until tonight to even touch the rest, going to clean parts later and post pics...

I did oil change 2 hours ago, cut filters open and looked great, I don't see evidence of metal anywhere, valve tips, rollers on lifters lol good, rollers on rockers looked good at a quick glance, I will clean them and report back. I think I caught it right before the point of actual tearing up metal began...

Once on a stand I will eventually pull some caps and see what's up and hope for best... If I have issues I'm gonna part the whole mess out and buy a set of used running hp500 parts boat and go boating lol

Last edited by Full Force; 10-06-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I like how back when bob asked our friend joe, to provide him with an invoice, with what i and icdedppl paid for our daytona boxes, and that he would match that price and beat it. I gave that info to our buddy, in which he forwarded it to bob. The next day, we get a call from our local machine shop that we bought them from, explaining how he got yelled at by the owner of daytona for selling them at that price. Bob did that, because he was pizzed that we purchased 6 ign setups, and didnt go thru him. As well i how here on oso, i told a few who were looking at those boxes, to call the local shop, and they would give an oso discount. How dare i step on bobs toes being he was an advertiser here, and a daytona dealer. Then he got really angry, when he specd out 3 bar map sensors for my buddys setup, that i was going to be programming , when i told my buddy he needed to call bob, and exchange for 2 bar units. So , he calls bob, and bob in his usual stern tone of voice, tells my buddy, "you need a 3bar map if you want to have a 3d timing curve " . My buddy joe, not knowing better calls me back, and tells me that. Getting aggravated, i simply said, well maybe you neef to have bob build you a map then. Needless to say, the 2 bar came , and all went well.

Whats even better about that, is i have helped out at least 7 of his customers who purchased those boxes from him, and needed help setting them up, building and uploading maps, and so on. Which i do not mind doing to help a fellow boater out. The question is, why arent they having bob do that for him, h3es the one selling them, making a profit on them, and yet, it seems as if theres no support .

I could go on about how he was selling those boxes on someone elses account, and that whole story, but Im sure people are getting bored of hearing stories.
The more I read here the more upset I get at Bob! I was thinking about putting AFR 265's on my 454's after I sold the Brodix heads, so I called Bob for a price. He's wouldn't give me one. He would beat around the bush and then the subject was changed. Now mind you, prior to calling Bob I called Mike Lewis so I already knew what a good price was. After asking several times the price was around $200 more per set from Bob and Mike would ship for free.. Of course I never said I could get them cheaper from Mike. Same thing when I bought my Pro System carb. I was told one price, then invoiced another. Was given some stupid reason why it was more. So then I called pro system and for them to build the same carb was $100 less than from Bob.

Last edited by endeavour32; 10-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I was informed today that the older bob stuff was not spec'd by him.... Just sold through him.... And when bin did it himself the issues started...
So basically he would gather all the info, give it to the grinder and then claim it as his own! What a joke!
Old 10-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kinda what I got out of it...
Originally Posted by endeavour32
So basically he would gather all the info, give it to the grinder and then claim it as his own! What a joke!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I was informed today that the older bob stuff was not spec'd by him.... Just sold through him.... And when bin did it himself the issues started...
By who. A statement like that needs to have the source said.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Waiting for permission to post it.. Soon as I get it.. I will post the exact comment
Originally Posted by SB
By who. A statement like that needs to have the source said.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I cant help but notice when visiting cam motions site, the lack of things pertaining to big block stuff, besides 8.1 truck cams, let alone bbc endurance stuff. Looks like they specialize in LS engine stuff.

Does anyone know if they spintron test their lobes with bbc components?
They've done everything for years, however the LS guys have been buying there stuff up big time for last few years. So, I'm sure the new look for their site.

Doubt the spintron, not many companies do. Not many years ago, no cam companies had spintrons. Squeezing my gray matter together I think it was Mondello who started designing/building spintrons.

They are heavy into their computer program and cnc'ing most, if not all their cams. So, if all these cams are having instability and/or heat treat problems, I think their methods really come into question also.

Reading there sight as far as custom cams is very strange. You can pick a duration at .050", lift, and lsa and they'll grind you a cam. I thinkthat is relying to heavy on a computer program for me.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 474 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
They call that a answering service.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

ok so from beginning to date of this thread there has been a lot discussed. Some off the subject in question but mostly involving input with combos, cam specs, lobe flaws with premature failure etc. To me it's evident something has changed drastically over the last couple years with rmbuilder but perhaps much longer. Difficult to say as we don't have all input going back several years (decade or more). Especially when we upgrade our builds, sell engines and lose track of the long jevity of the said engine and valvetrain. Just saying we're constantly changing builds, going bigger, adding SC's, procharger's, tunnel rams and so on which in most cases involves cam and valvetrain in most cases. So in a nutshell who's to say how long who's cam last and who's doesn't.

Other thread MT started may shed shed some more light on that. List is growing without a doubt. Good bad indifferent.

What I have come to the conclusion for the most part here is without a doubt duration goes up with cubic inch to maintain peak hp at a given rpm. (Pretty common knowledge for most part). Also obviously short duration higher lift cams are causing valvetrain stability all over. You'd think after all the years of techknowledgey and R&D there would just be a simple ratio rule of thumb (lobe/duration). Yet most likely there is that's why you don't see cams similar to the ones in question being sold by most all cam companies.

I will have to admit I am shocked to learn how much duration is needed to achieve peak hp let's say 6,000-6,200 on a 540-548. What I am understanding for the most part is on a 540-548 build with 315-325 cc heads is you should be looking at a cam 250/260-700/690 plus or minus. Heads being 100% professionally set up is crutial. If in doubt send them out... Every single moving part pertaining to valvetrain including lifter bore alignment, size, etc all equally important.

I recall MT posting some CI's vs duration differences but would be kinda of neat to really narrow it down with most common builds. Runner cc can change up duration so formula would never be a 100% accurate but at least get many people in the ball park. Head runner 305-335 (probably average based on CI below)

Just keep 6,000 rpm as a guideline for all engines.

496-509

540-548

555-565

572-598

Some variables may apply such as same CI with different stroke but just looking for general duration. Might be best for another thread however I think would be helpful for many individuals as well as builders. Example when you look up a cam in cam book it's not real specific with 396-454 or some 396-502. I have seen 540 plus occasionally however I think what we could do here would be helpful. Lift rates easier to determine based heads and flow at various lifts.

As many cam threads that come up I think this would be helpful for many.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Most look ok, there's a couple that might look like they bounced around a little, my spring pressures were not equal so that could be it, in a nutshell..I was spec'd a disaster waiting to happen....[ATTACH=CONFIG]560179[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560180[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560181[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560183[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560184[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]560182[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg  

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.