Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
What is your lsa? I forgot.
Pretty sure 112.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Did you try tuning out that dip in torque at 3400?

I remember seeing a video you had posted of one of your dyno pulls. Im no dyno expert, but that was like the fastest dyno pull i had ever seen. What was the sweep rate ? If i recall , seemed like it rev'd from 3000 to 6000 in like a few seconds.

On mine , it was the opposite. 3000-6500rpm took a long time. Wanna say it was like 150rpm per second sweep. I found it quite nerve racking loading the engine that long and hard. My engines would never accelerate that slow in the boat.
I'm going to have to take a look at the final pull and see if that dip was still in it. I'm not 100% sure that dip really exists, maybe some quark with the way the dyno loads when the pull starts? I'll have to take a closer look at the detailed dyno output and see if anything stands out. The first sweeps were way too fast @ 800-1000 rpm/sec. He slowed it down for the later pulls, but still not slow enough. Even though the dyno had a knob that seemed to adjust the sweep rate he said it wasn't that easy? The further along the builds got the less faith I had in his abilities. Ultimately I'm not really satisfied with his work.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Pretty sure 112.
should have used 108,,would have made way more powwa.

who's abilty are you talking about?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:48 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
should have used 108,,would have made way more powwa.

who's abilty are you talking about?
The engine builder is who I'm not really satisfied with for several reasons.

As far as making more power, I think what I got from these heads is decent. I have no opinion on the 112 lsa. Someone else can spend a few days on a dyno swapping cams, checking for reversion, idle quality, powerbands, peaks etc. and post the results. I think my new philosophy is going to be, if I don't see it on a dyno it doesn't exist. If I change any component on an engine to make more power I'm automatically adding $600 and a day on a dyno into the equation. Edit- actually I don't think I'm really interested in making changes or being involved with a build again based on my past experience. I think I'll just write a check to Innovation Marine and let an engine show up and if that doesn't work I'll leave the sport. As far as hands on engine work goes I have yet to meet anyone in this industry that I'd ever go back to and I don't have unlimited funds to find a new builder to spend thousands of dollars with every year or two .

Last edited by bck; 10-08-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 401 Posts

see the ,,I was making a funny.I use cams in the 112 range all the time,,unless I'm building a really big cube motor.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:26 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
see the ,,I was making a funny.I use cams in the 112 range all the time,,unless I'm building a really big cube motor.
Sorry, that's ok. Whether kidding or not that's still my thoughts on the whole thing. But it does get tiring hearing what people think should have been done after the fact.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Me too lol and that 5 minute 4200 run we did lol

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Did you try tuning out that dip in torque at 3400?

I remember seeing a video you had posted of one of your dyno pulls. Im no dyno expert, but that was like the fastest dyno pull i had ever seen. What was the sweep rate ? If i recall , seemed like it rev'd from 3000 to 6000 in like a few seconds.

On mine , it was the opposite. 3000-6500rpm took a long time. Wanna say it was like 150rpm per second sweep. I found it quite nerve racking loading the engine that long and hard. My engines would never accelerate that slow in the boat.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

We can agree there no doubt, if I listened o a select few I would have been in a better place but most came up after I was done shopping, oh well ..hoping this is my last round, as far as trusting? Well the best can have issues so I guess I am ok with learning and building mine...

Originally Posted by bck
Sorry, that's ok. Whether kidding or not that's still my thoughts on the whole thing. But it does get tiring hearing what people think should have been done after the fact.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I was informed today that the older bob stuff was not spec'd by him.... Just sold through him.... And when bin did it himself the issues started...
I am currently cam shopping and have ruled MK out after reading all this. One thing that came to mind is it may be helpful if you have any info on time frames for this? It may help others that purchased from him one way or another.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I see that MK was spec'ing high lift short duration for pretty much everything. So what is the theororetical value of such relative short duration? I'm flipping through a comp cams catalog and all of their cams for marine use ~.550 lift but about +20* on the duration. These seem flat and wide compared to the MK cams.
I dont have personal exprrience w .680 lift cams and 240 duration but i will say in my opinion IF a guy is running any sftermarket hesds that keep flowing past .650 lift to use somethingw only .550 lift would seem to leave hp on the table. Even mercruiser runs .600 lift on 500 efis w iron heads, a customer bought a turn key blower motor from big als toy shop that we installed and rigged in a jet boat this summer and it had a "old school" low lift cam like what your talking sbout and thr horespower numbers were absolutely dismal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.