Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-14-2016, 05:52 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Okay, I thought previously there where grooves in the earlier pics and this was said was causing performance issues.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

the performance issue is because the grind is way too small, and aggressive...

Originally Posted by SB
Okay, I thought previously there where grooves in the earlier pics and this was said was causing performance issues.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The checking marks on the lobes, when you zoom in on that one pic, sure looks like a surface issue, rather than an assembly or lubrication issue ? Reminds me of the GM clearcoat on the 70s cars hoods
Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No doubt there's issues ugh
Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

looks like localized heat related to my untrained eye, I have seen similar checking on radical flat tappet hyd cams years ago, with very aggressive opening ramps. Ask me how I know!!! was also blowing rocker arms apart. late 70s to mid 80s. thank god for new cam technology and lifter design. as forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say about that"
Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So they cams are damaged. The cams are not damaged. The cams have a slightly unusual surface appearance. Cam Motion can't be trusted to diagnose an issue with there own cams. Cam motion has been great and offered replacements because of a manufacturing issue. Any issue with the cams is Bob's fault. The lift/ duration ratio has damaged the cams. The lift/ duration ratio has not damaged the cams it just doesn't make power. The engines are way low on power. The engines are making exactly what an engine with your carb/ intake/ exhaust should be making. Glad this is all figured out.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I see you still hold bob on a peditsool, it's fine... The pint in the end is I spent a lot of money to have nothing but problems, very few of them are my fault at all, if you open up your engines after 65 hours and have issues let's see how you feel, I take heat for stuff and that's fine, but have the balls to put my story out there for others to learn... If that's a huge problem so be it, but I can tell you one thing, not one person would be ok with finding the bs I have found and lack of performance I have gotten, and the nonstop worrying....
Originally Posted by bck
So they cams are damaged. The cams are not damaged. The cams have a slightly unusual surface appearance. Cam Motion can't be trusted to diagnose an issue with there own cams. Cam motion has been great and offered replacements because of a manufacturing issue. Any issue with the cams is Bob's fault. The lift/ duration ratio has damaged the cams. The lift/ duration ratio has not damaged the cams it just doesn't make power. The engines are way low on power. The engines are making exactly what an engine with your carb/ intake/ exhaust should be making. Glad this is all figured out.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck

Sorry, if you think a 540ci, with afr 325s , 9.6:1, should make 630hp at 6000rpm.

I had a 540 over 12 years ago, with merlin iron heads out of the box, a 741 crane, dart single plane, stainless marine exhaust, that made 600hp at 5600rpm. It was 9:1. Keyword, 12 years ago.

Today, better heads, custom cam, 680 lift, more compression, and only 30hp more?

Dozens of real marine engine builders have been making 700 plus with ease with a 540ci platform , that last. No weeks and weeks of swapping parts on a dyno trying to compensate for the wrong camshaft with 11 different induction setups, and a 1000rpm per second nhra dyno sweep.

You should bring your build to where tim dynoed his, run it in full dress without a 12 percent correction factor, and when you make 630hp, see how great you feel about bob. Or when, you get them in the boat and run them for a season, and the lobes look like crap.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered

Dozens of scenerios of issues here from guys who have ran bobs cams in this thread. Some proffessional builders as well.. the guy who has dyno time only, hasnt ran them in boat to compare to anything, keeps discrediting those statements, drfending his favorite cam guy, because he hit a number on a dyno pull that he is impressed with.

Not one guy in 141 pages, has been able to answer tims question about how may hours with a 680 lift 241 cam....
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't say it was your fault. How exactly did I put anyone on a pedestal with my post? All I pointed out is a complete contradiction in every diagnosis that has been made. Pointing these contradictions out does not equal defending Bob. All I get from this thread is that no one really has a clue what, if anything has happened here. Maybe you should consider actually figuring out what is wrong at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.