Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How is tim , pulling his engine apart, inspecting, taking photos, sending them to cam motion, other cam companies, randy at johnson lifters, looking into hardness checks, and posting here, in any way, poor due diligence?

Bck, i didnt see you quarterbacking the guys whos idea of due diligence, is "i called bob, he said i will be fine " or "i called cam motion, they said ill be fine" . Yea, thats pretty scientific.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Dozens of scenerios of issues here from guys who have ran bobs cams in this thread. Some proffessional builders as well.. the guy who has dyno time only, hasnt ran them in boat to compare to anything, keeps discrediting those statements, drfending his favorite cam guy, because he hit a number on a dyno pull that he is impressed with.

Not one guy in 141 pages, has been able to answer tims question about how may hours with a 680 lift 241 cam....
That's true not one person has had a cam even close to mine and say how long it's lived..
Old 10-14-2016, 10:06 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What about my post is untrue? Many people other than myself have pointed out his exhaust is a limiting factor, his carb and intake is a limiting factor, his dynoing with full accessories is lowering power. Are you saying his exact combination of parts and dyno set-up will make 700 if he changes a cam? His engines don't make 700hp for half a dozen reasons, the cam being just one of them. As far as lobe damage from the profile, well let's hear it.... This post has said very plainly that the damage has been caused by all the following reasons- improper grinding. Improper heat treating. Improper final surface polishing. Poor lobe design. Insufficient spring pressure. Improperly indexed lifter bores. Lifter wheels not squared in body. I don't even see where the extent of the damage has even been properly verified and stated yet. First the cams have grooves. Then they just have discoloration. Then they just have a funny looking surface. All these pages and I don't even see where the actual damage has even been properly assessed and stated yet let alone the cause.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I ha e posted every last little detail about my engines in and out, specs, build sheets, pics... As far as figuring out what's wrong? That's easy, heads, cams are wrong... Totally wrong... Gonna work on that this winter..what are your can specs? Please let us know so we can compare... You made such great power but inreality not much more then me if I went Dyno trim and did fast sweeps, I would love to see cam specs... Or pics of your cams after 65 hours, spring rates, and installed heights.... If cams are close to mine
Originally Posted by bck
Didn't say it was your fault. How exactly did I put anyone on a pedestal with my post? All I pointed out is a complete contradiction in every diagnosis that has been made. Pointing these contradictions out does not equal defending Bob. All I get from this thread is that no one really has a clue what, if anything has happened here. Maybe you should consider actually figuring out what is wrong at some point.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:11 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How is tim , pulling his engine apart, inspecting, taking photos, sending them to cam motion, other cam companies, randy at johnson lifters, looking into hardness checks, and posting here, in any way, poor due diligence?

Bck, i didnt see you quarterbacking the guys whos idea of due diligence, is "i called bob, he said i will be fine " or "i called cam motion, they said ill be fine" . Yea, thats pretty scientific.
I suggested pages ago that due diligence in this case would be sending the cams to cam motion and finding out directly from the manufacturer what was wrong and what the likely cause was. It was you that said matter of factly that Cam Motion could not be trusted to diagnose their own cam.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cams will be sent out when ready for "precessional" diagnose, I am very busy this stuff didn't happen over days for me...

As far as 700 goals not possible with my exhaust and induction? Well maybe Bob should have said dude that won't happen, but because I was spending money he made that claim a point that it will... Want me to post that sheet again? "Expected hp and rpm" 700....@6000
Old 10-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I suggested pages ago that due diligence in this case would be sending the cams to cam motion and finding out directly from the manufacturer what was wrong and what the likely cause was. It was you that said matter of factly that Cam Motion could not be trusted to diagnose their own cam.
I still suggest he sends one of the cams to an independent cam grinder for analysis.

He also called cam motion last year, and was reassured he will be fine. And yet, here we are.

He was willing to deal with a slower boat, if it ran good and was reliable. Now , he has not only a slower boat, but an unreliable one as well.

Did you gain speed with your new builds in the boat ?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
I ha e posted every last little detail about my engines in and out, specs, build sheets, pics... As far as figuring out what's wrong? That's easy, heads, cams are wrong... Totally wrong... Gonna work on that this winter..what are your can specs? Please let us know so we can compare... You made such great power but inreality not much more then me if I went Dyno trim and did fast sweeps, I would love to see cam specs... Or pics of your cams after 65 hours, spring rates, and installed heights.... If cams are close to mine
Let me be more specific. When I say what's "wrong" with your engine I am referring to damage, not power. I don't see yet where the damage has been accurately assessed and evaluated. I believe the only correct assessment of what damage has occurred to your cams is going to come from the manufacturer of your parts. Every possible cause under the sun has been put forth in this thread. As far as me posting my specs, you're kidding right? Did you read the threads I've started in the last year about these engines and the parts and the dyno pulls?

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I have not blamed Tim for any of his engines problems in any of these multiple threads he has started recently. I have not defended Bob in any of these recent threads. I've done nothing but offered helpful advice to the extent I'm able based solely on my limited dyno experience with my combination of parts. Reading comprehension is a strong point of mine and I stand by my above post that nothing here has been properly diagnosed yet and virtually every cause under the sun has been put forth .
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

People keep bringing up my power and my parts and if I will have problems after 100 hours. That's just deflection. My engines and what problems and power I might make has absolutely nothing to do with what is wrong with Tim's engines. My engines may or may not last and might only make 600hp. That doesn't change the fact that the damage to Tim's engines has not yet been accurately assessed and stated in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.