Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 467 Likes on 212 Posts

One day I'll post my timeline, but there is a time and place for everything.

Currently rebuilding another engine, should be my fourth I think but I lost count.....
Old 10-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Bck brian, I would think its fair , if your opinion, on what is good or bad rigging, leads you to pretty much call out an engine builder, rigger, or whatever, as doing shoddy work, to back it up with some details and specifics.

Ive made statements about shops and builders from what ive seen. Last year i was unhappy with the work a shop did on my cylinder heads. I provided measurements of things with a micrometer, pictures, part numbers, and so on, to explain why i was giving the opinion i was giving.

Some of us do all our own work and rigging, and while not knowing everything, can kind of make a decision on whats good or bad, when info is provided.

I mean, not for nothin, you have been all over tim on facebook and oso for speaking out against bob madera. You have done a fair share of speaking out against some professionals in the business, but i havent seen any substance in your statements to back any of it up, or at least provide the info to let others form their opinion. Just saying "they suck" , isnt very informative .
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh . And this guy built my street motor. Stored my boat and sold me parts. I considered having him build the boat motors but he was to busy. Must be me

http://wivb.com/2014/06/24/mechanic-...as-paid-to-do/

What's really funny is this guy was always straight with me and the Smith Bros pushrods he sold me for the boat motors were not in the engines when they came apart. The honest guy that built motors replaced half of them with generic ones from comp cams

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:43 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Bck brian, I would think its fair , if your opinion, on what is good or bad rigging, leads you to pretty much call out an engine builder, rigger, or whatever, as doing shoddy work, to back it up with some details and specifics.

Ive made statements about shops and builders from what ive seen. Last year i was unhappy with the work a shop did on my cylinder heads. I provided measurements of things with a micrometer, pictures, part numbers, and so on, to explain why i was giving the opinion i was giving.

Some of us do all our own work and rigging, and while not knowing everything, can kind of make a decision on whats good or bad, when info is provided.

I mean, not for nothin, you have been all over tim on facebook and oso for speaking out against bob madera. You have done a fair share of speaking out against some professionals in the business, but i havent seen any substance in your statements to back any of it up, or at least provide the info to let others form their opinion. Just saying "they suck" , isnt very informative .
Sorry M/T not interested. Take it or leave it. I don't care who believes me or who doesn't. I purposely make sure that it is just MY OPINION that they just suck in general. You should be able to figure out why it's worded that way. I'm still waiting for the specifics of the cam damage.

Edit I said I'd provide info on an individual basis to anyone that need it. Quite a few people have seen my boat locally and know exactly what I am talking about. Some are members here and some you know. They may or may not speak up as to their knowledge of some of the issues. Not my concern.

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Sorry M/T not interested. Take it or leave it. I don't care who believes me or who doesn't. I purposely make sure that it is just MY OPINION that they just suck in general. You should be able to figure out why it's worded that way. I'm still waiting for the specifics of the cam damage.

Edit I said I'd provide info on an individual basis to anyone that need it. Quite a few people have seen my boat locally and know exactly what I am talking about. Some are members here and some you know. They may or may not speak up as to their knowledge of some of the issues. Not my concern.
Having seen some work from the people described in your earlier post I have to say I'm of the same opinion.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Having seen some work from the people described in your earlier post I have to say I'm of the same opinion.
You better prove it. We don't accept unsubstantiated claims around here.

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:13 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I've been to the shops, spent tens of thousands of dollars, have the bills and the cancelled checks. I'm not inclined to prove myself to people who have not spent 1 cent with or even visited the shops I'm referring to. My opinions come from from first hand knowledge only, not what some other person told me or what some other builder claims happened.

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
You better prove it. We don't accept unsubstantiated claims around here.
So wait, you spent every post in here, trying to deflect every issue tim has mentioned, wanting hard facts, rockwell tests, and so on. Nothing posted in this thread, from tim, or haxby, or mer, or anyone else, is enough for you.

But when i ask, for some substance behind your accusations, you plead the fifth?

Wasnt it not long ago you bashed glass Dave's work too? Seems you have a laundry list of people who have failed you in this hobby.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

PG 146 Post 1459 ........still going strong
Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

As far as myself....I do my own stuff most of it anyway, I had some issues, fixed them and went boating all summer meanwhile good friends and others on Oso sit waiting for big time builders to get things done, I may have issues but I learn and make the best of what I can. Some guys here know me personally and know I don't give up easy if I did I would have walked away by now. I would put stock power back in and run it every weekend before getting out of baiting I love it, it's my stress relief (when it's good haha) guys like joe and Randy I have a ton of discussions with and they know I am not the idiot that some people may think, I have provided way more build specs and info then anyone I think I ever saw that was having issues... As far as hard evidence on cams? Well clearly the cracking marks should not be there, clearly that's not builder fault, and clearly that's a problem that in my opinion needs addressed. I guess one way to look at it is, I see many guys spend 2-3x what I did and still have the same issues so just because you spend the $ don't mean your getting quality.

I am giving this a last shot, if it don't work out then I will part engines out band buy stock power and drop them in, I don't expect my results to suck with who is helping me locally do the work on my heads and spec parts, had he and I not lost track of each other years ago we would not have this post, not saying I'm gonna have a home run fix, but i can say his track record is great, I trust him 110% to do the best he can and advise the best he can offer, that's hard to say about guys because it's rare, he's not a shop, he don't have overhead and he don't care about getting rich doing it, he enjoys it and can make some fun $ doing it, same reason guys love Mike T here on Oso, we'll know don't see bad things attached to his name.

If I can see 670+ in marine trim on a Dyno or if I can't Dyno and I see 75 mph I am a happy man... That's my goal..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.