Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Totally agree there, once clearance no issues, chain came off 65 hours later as snug as it was when it went on, I am sure I will have to replace them also with a different cam, not sure yet...

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I cant speak for the gen 6 style rollmaster timing sets. I hsve used the mark iv style, and imo, a really nice piece. Billet gears, with the Iwis chains. I replaced my cast gear cloyes with them. One of the cloyes had a iwis chain, the other chain wasnt labeled. Both had same runtime, but the iwis chain was significantly tighter. Either way, i wanted to get away from a cast timing set, and go with billet.

Slightly off topic, but i think they are a really good timing set for the cost.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Seems funny that one part number fits and one doesn't. The builder said it could be machined like you did, but it was cheaper and easier to just use a different one. I can get the two part numbers and maybe someone can figure it out. I'm pretty sure we did end up using still using a rollmaster just not that one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]560422[/ATTACH]
This one didn't fit.

+++Edit+++ we ended up using a rollmaster CS 2095 without issue
Chevrolet Generation 6
CS2090 Red Series Gen 6 with Torrington Bearing
CS2095 Gold Series Gen 6 with Torrington Bearing and Nitrided Sprockets

Red Series: standard billet steel set
Gold Series: premium billet steel set with all sprockets nitrided by better durability and longer life.

All Timing Chain Sets are made from billet steel, have 9 Keyways (unless otherwise stated) and have a heat treated crank sprocket.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:11 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Chevrolet Generation 6

Gold Series: premium billet steel set with all sprockets nitrided by better durability and longer life.

All Timing Chain Sets are made from billet steel, have 9 Keyways (unless otherwise stated) and have a heat treated crank sprocket.
There doesn't seem to be any difference in those parts that would effect fit. I know the one in the pic didn't fit and it was the builder who pointed it out. I know the other part # is what I was billed for. There was no machining done. A mystery. I'll inquire further if I remember.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 101 Posts

Very cool to have threads like these with updates as we go. Good entertainment, conversation, learning and sharing.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Very cool to have threads like these with updates as we go. Good entertainment, conversation, learning and sharing.
Agreed!!

And FF, I don't blame you at all for any bashing - I lived thru the crane 741 cam breakage debacle around 10 years ago or so and was frikken pissed when I got on here and found out how many had failed, and the numbers of people tearing down motors to check cam bore alignment, etc, only to discover it was the cams themselves. The core material along with how the stick was ground down to attach the dizzy gear left a weak point in the cam - the cams were being built with two different core materials, and yet the same part number - only the one color core was failing. Some people found they had one color core in one engine, and another color in their other engine, when both builds were done together. Sure Crane offered me a replacement cam for free, but I wasn't about to trust them when they hadn't owned up to the cause, or pulled the part number after so many failures. They finally did pull the number, because it was not in their catalog when I looked later, and then I guess it re-emerged sometime later - same grind, but different core and dizzy gear attachment method. Because of OSO, I learned what was going on, told crane to take a flying leap, stabbed in another brand cam without changing ANYTHING else, and enjoyed another 400 hours of running. I got over 600 hours out of that 540 short block (except for the cam). Meanwhile many others tore their whole engines down only to find nothing wrong and later learned they had wasted their time. Very sad. So to FF, I say "Thank you" for raising a stink... So far. 

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 10-15-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Was that the issue cams of them breaking in half? My buddy lake effect had that happen years ago... Broke at the distributor gear press point.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:14 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Chevrolet Generation 6

Well, checking to see what the difference may be other than CS2095 being nitrided, it looks like the CS2090 might not be being made anymore.
http://rollmasterusa.com/downloads/R...plications.pdf does not show the CS2090, and looking online, it appears only one on Ebay showing these and 1 or so listing it on an online store.Plent showing the CS2095. So, again, Rollmaster not making the CS2090 anymore ? Appears that way thru my quick search. Wonder if the fitting wrong is why ?

Maybe someone finds something different thru a search ?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Was that the issue cams of them breaking in half? My buddy lake effect had that happen years ago... Broke at the distributor gear press point.
Yes, they (Crane HR's) where breaking right behind the gear. Motor would just stop. Valves would go up and down like they should. Distributor would not turn as the gear section of the cam was not turning since broken off from rest of cam..

The copper colored cores where fine. The other was not.

As Hang Time mentioned, this was a big thing in the boat forums, as many had this issue. Took a while to figure out what the heck was happening, until enough time went by and with all the reports of failed vs not failed, and the trend finally became clear it was one core failing and not the other.

Was just Crane HR's that had this issue.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

yep, that's what happened exactly, was every bit of 10-12 years ago... that was a LONG ride back at 8 mph.... we pulled cap and rotor was not spinning we were like wtf????

Originally Posted by SB
Yes, they (Crane HR's) where breaking right behind the gear. Motor would just stop. Valves would go up and down like they should. Distributor would not turn as the gear section of the cam was not turning since broken off from rest of cam..

The copper colored cores where fine. The other was not.

As Hang Time mentioned, this was a big thing in the boat forums, as many had this issue. Took a while to figure out what the heck was happening, until enough time went by and with all the reports of failed vs not failed, and the trend finally became clear it was one core failing and not the other.

Was just Crane HR's that had this issue.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
yep, that's what happened exactly, was every bit of 10-12 years ago... that was a LONG ride back at 8 mph.... we pulled cap and rotor was not spinning we were like wtf????
Ain't high performance boating fun? Lemme see, 13 years with current boat went sumpthin like this.

Buy boat. Blow TRS after 40hrs. Remove too-small supercharger making too much torque, not enough hp.(came with boat)- loose 3mph. Rebuilt TRS myself in buddy's shop.
Break solid lifter. Replace solid cam with crane 741 (very close numbers of solid)
Break 741. Picked another.
Blow 2nd TRS after 80hrs. Swapped parts for a TRS
Blow 3rd TRS after 60hrs, and Huber 925 with it. Swapped parts for another TRS
Blow 4th TRS after less than 80hrs. Swapped more parts.
Finally blow stock Merc coupler (it's actually the same one they put in 350ci cruiser setups, lol) Install high dollar one.
Blow 5th TRS - install Konrad - (new Konrad T assembly, rebuilt upper w/ new lower $7,500 from factory). Deal from Kurt.
Drop valve after rocker arm comes apart - rebuild motor at 600+ hours.
Konrad lasts 430 hours, and takes out Huber 925 when it goes. Sent Konrad to factory and back, installed huber 1325.
Decide to swap to AFR heads, and research leads me to Bob. Pay half, get heads, but cam and rest of parts delayed, but it's middle of summer so I didnt care.
Blow oil cooler line at 4,000 rpm cruise - hurt a bearing - Time to rebuild entire motor, not just swap top end.

Between, around, and amongst all that crap was a ton of good times... But doing all your own work will wear your ass out, lol. Overall work to play ratio? Acceptable.
Quick little video of things running right to make me feel better after writing that **** out, lol.

https://youtu.be/HITXdgwZxxg

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 10-15-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.