Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I agree. It was more of a general question. Just seems like going up in a cam's aggressiveness, and down in lifter wheel diameter, is a lateral move. A basic old .350 lobe lift std diameter bbc cam, is quite a bit different shape than a .400 lobe lift std diameter bbc cam. They did it with solids forever with no issues, but I don't recall many solid roller lifters with .700 wheels, and they also had lash ramps in the lobe.
I know when endeavor32 Mike had his cam spec'd and purchased through Bob I'm 99% sure Bob insisted on the 750 wheels and of course probably were purchased through him to up the $$$ but again I can't say for sure however I do recall that being "another" upsell and Mike bringing it up a couple different times.

Just my opinion however with the said problems there is no part of me that feels that would make the slightest bit of difference on this cam. Like I said in earlier post Jim v been running a comp custom grind pushing the edge with close to 236-675 int plus using 1.8's to boot bringing it to 707. Not even an endurance lobe but still no no issues. That boat is what I would truly call ridden hard and put away wet. Lol.

I realize the lifter bores have been addressed as well as the integrity of the lifters however is this wear on the lobes even? From the recent pic it looks like it's got the Detroit lean going on here but again hard to tell by pics.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I don't think the .700 wheel helps matters when you have an Inversed Radius lobe. The larger diameter wheel is better however I still don't think any of that is the issue. I think it all goes back to the finish on the cam. If you hold a Cam Motion cam next to any of its competitors it's plain as day that they are rough.
So in a nutshell the inverse radious would only exaggerate the problem. Unlike jones cams who seem to be trouble free.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Strange white bands going across the face??
It looks like a IR lobe little bit rough on parts but that's only a picture so its hard to know for sure.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
So in a nutshell the inverse radious would only exaggerate the problem. Unlike jones cams who seem to be trouble free.
The IR lobes are the cats meow if done properly. They slow acceleration that's how you do short duration high lift. The wheel diameter has to be correct for the IR lobes.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Old 11-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561227[/ATTACH]

Anyone see something odd here?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561246[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561247[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561248[/ATTACH]

3 cams, 2 engines, dyno time only. .700 Wheel on a Johnson Lifter, with pin oiling. Isky springs.
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-img_2725.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-img_2726.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-img_2729.jpg  

Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 800 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
One can was checked cam back ok, plan to have checked again, I get. Bob didn't grind the cams, but his spec was given and clearly per this thread I am not the only one with issues, so it is what it is.... The reason I bash on Bob? Well maybe because if he made it right by at least contacting me unwound have stopped long ago... I bought parts from him... He's not standing behind the part he supplied so I will bash him every chance I get, i now have to replace cams, redo valve job and springs, buy new cams, and whatever else is involved with the change I have to make... I can't sell these cams to anyone so they are 1000.00 worth of paper weights... If nothing else Bob should refund me cam cost and I eat the rest of the few grand I'm gonna spend...

So yes Bob gets bashed and will continue to be... I sent a nice email no harsh words... Nothing... Response?? ZERO!
Don't feel bad, I'm on rebuild 3 in two years...
Old 11-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Look exactly like mine, but it's my fault....

Originally Posted by MER Performance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561246[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561247[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]561248[/ATTACH]

3 cams, 2 engines, dyno time only. .700 Wheel on a Johnson Lifter, with pin oiling. Isky springs.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Look exactly like mine, but it's my fault....
Looks exactly like mine and mine had an .850 wheel on it and the motor was only spun over a dozen times. Never ran...
Old 11-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Yours is my fault also lol

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Looks exactly like mine and mine had an .850 wheel on it and the motor was only spun over a dozen times. Never ran...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.