Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I have been in contact with everyone but Bob since the beginning of this mess, so many guys trying to help and I appreciate it, part that comes with that is many opinions and some are factual and some not, my fact is I have wear, and 170 pages in I still see it as the cam specs so far, not sure 100% if that's cause it not but that's why seems to be the same.

Why does GM factory gen6 use as a wheel? They seem to go 1000 hours no issues but also I know cam spec plays a role, but how much load difference is there really?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What exactly do you not like me? I love it guys hate me because I must have spoken some sort of fact they didn't like at some point..

Your right something is off and pretty much everything's going to change too...

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Everything needs to be looked at. The entire valve train from cam to lifters, to rockers, to springs. Something is off and so far there isn't one absolutely common denominator yet. Some from madara, as mentioned earlier some from crane? I think. Some with johnsons. Any with morels? How about .842 vs .910? How about geometry? I'm not saying it's one persons thing or another. You're not the only with the issue and as much as I don't like you I ahte to see anyone go through this bull****.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The .750 wheel will handle a higher acceleration rate than a .700 wheel. Most of the "modern lobes" we are using these days have much faster acceleration rates. You can have two cams with 240* .700" lift. They can have very different acceleration rates. The more acceleration you have in the lobe the larger the wheel you need. The larger wheel acts like a gear reduction...
Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

173!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is good discussion here!

Lots to learn

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
173!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

me not liking you is irrelevant in this thread. Trust me there is no "fact" you've said that i disapprove of. If anything you're the most opinionated Widget out there. Either way cam specs was looking like the answer until people started showing other cams doing it. Not bobbys goofy grinds but from what I understood off the shelf grinds. These would be grinds tested on a spintron not on Bobbys kitchen table.

Ultimately I think there will be no concrete answer and it will be left up to whoever reads to figure out what they think went wrong.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I only seen one picture of a non bob cam, if that's true my the case... Not more then one so far..

My buddy's of 5 years ago... Yep MK cams
Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The .750 wheel will handle a higher acceleration rate than a .700 wheel. Most of the "modern lobes" we are using these days have much faster acceleration rates. You can have two cams with 240* .700" lift. They can have very different acceleration rates. The more acceleration you have in the lobe the larger the wheel you need. The larger wheel acts like a gear reduction...
This is true. Again, this would come back to the roller itself failing. The acceleration rates have not exceeded the design parameters of this bearing. We'd be seeing an oil pan full of needle bearings and a 3 page thread if that was the case.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc40
This is true. Again, this would come back to the roller itself failing. The acceleration rates have not exceeded the design parameters of this bearing. We'd be seeing an oil pan full of needle bearings and a 3 page thread if that was the case.
How about heat ? Or skidding ?

What do you think the cause of this issue was ?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Havoc40/ Randy, what spring pressure is the 2126 lifter designed to sustain? That seems to be absent from the website. Thanks. Edit- is it possible to categorize it, could you say xxx lbs should be good indefinitely, xxx lbs should be checked/ replaced after a certain time, xxx lbs shouldn't be used at all etc ? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.