Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The .750 wheel will handle a higher acceleration rate than a .700 wheel. Most of the "modern lobes" we are using these days have much faster acceleration rates. You can have two cams with 240* .700" lift. They can have very different acceleration rates. The more acceleration you have in the lobe the larger the wheel you need. The larger wheel acts like a gear reduction...
Exactly. And, bbc, sbc, LS, 55mm bbc, can all have different lifter pressure angles, even if the lobe lift is the same. Theres a reason we have limits in everything. What worked in a LS engine , migut not work in a bbc . Change base circles, change pressure angles.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Time for some .750 wheel morel solid roller lifters?
Old 11-29-2016, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I can get .750 wheel Johnson solids at a great price, just not sure I want to go with Solids yet... removing exhaust for lashing sounds like it sucks... thought I may be able to keep pushrods the same if I go to short travel hydraulic, but Randy said that will change... that makes solids much more of an option if I have to buy pushrods anyway.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Registered

Since we are talking about lifter designs, what are the pros and cons of running a "swedged" axle , vs an axle that is held in place by a wire lock?

I did some googling like havoc40 suggested, and stumbled on this topic where on another site they were comparing johnsoms vs morels . Here a guy claimed his "swedged " axle came out of his johnson lifter.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42149
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-screenshot_20161129-150405.jpg  
Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

I expect 250 pages before Tim even begins assembly! Lol

I never gave much thought to lifters before watching a show about a NASCAR engine builder who used an electron microscope to check brand new lifters. The rejection rate was quite high.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going solid minus well go with the best. Jesel's aren't much more than anyone else's. Tooled steel DLC coated bodies.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

That all have fails at times... it happens ... usually to me lol
Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Since we are talking about lifter designs, what are the pros and cons of running a "swedged" axle , vs an axle that is held in place by a wire lock?

I did some googling like havoc40 suggested, and stumbled on this topic where on another site they were comparing johnsoms vs morels . Here a guy claimed his "swedged " axle came out of his johnson lifter.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42149
That particular lifter is a Topline Hy-Lift product. They continue to use the Johnson name even though we own the registered trademark, it's a legal nightmare. You can tell by the flat bottom. All of our lifters have a relief cut, up the sides of the roller to allow for more duration. Been that way since late 90's.

Swedged axle vs. wire clip axle is another highly debated topic. Again, what does this have to do with the issues here? Tim did not have a bearing failure or even a lifter failure.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How about heat ? Or skidding ?

What do you think the cause of this issue was ?
If there was excessive heat it would show up on the bearing. It did not. If it was skidding it would flat spot the roller. It did not.

I'm really not getting into the possible cause of failure because I don't know enough information. More guesses and accusations will not help this situation. I actually build engines and know what it takes to figure out a problem like this. You need quality measuring/inspection tools and inspect each and every component at the same time. It's a system and needs to be analyzed as such. I think once he goes with parts that are proven to work he'll have reliable engines for years to come.

Originally Posted by bck
Havoc40/ Randy, what spring pressure is the 2126 lifter designed to sustain? That seems to be absent from the website. Thanks. Edit- is it possible to categorize it, could you say xxx lbs should be good indefinitely, xxx lbs should be checked/ replaced after a certain time, xxx lbs shouldn't be used at all etc ? Thanks
The reason we don't publish an answer to what max spring loads you can run, is because it's really a loaded question. There's too many variables to the equation. A blanket statement of 185/485 works in most scenarios, but doesn't in others. The overall mass of components, geometry, oil viscosity, intended RPM, and cam design all play a factor. I have customers running north of 550lbs open. As noted in the speedtalk thread, I have customers running custom built stuff over 800lbs. Everything really needs to be taken into account. I'd much rather the customer contact me, and I'll go over the entire combination with them.

Last edited by Havoc40; 11-29-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Havoc40
That particular lifter is a Topline Hy-Lift product. They continue to use the Johnson name even though we own the registered trademark, it's a legal nightmare. You can tell by the flat bottom. All of our lifters have a relief cut, up the sides of the roller to allow for more duration. Been that way since late 90's.

Swedged axle vs. wire clip axle is another highly debated topic. Again, what does this have to do with the issues here? Tim did not have a bearing failure or even a lifter failure.
So what do you think caused the issue then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.