Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

oil came out of pans clean, I cut open filters at every oil change, no reason to take them apart and add more cost to my 50,000.00 pair of 540's that should have been 25,000....

Originally Posted by getrdunn
That's good I'm glad your getting them sent out. I would hope they are able to communicate and come to a conclusion without you having to be a go between guy. I'd also send each company part number of spring used at installed heidth. Short blocks going untouched is completely your choice. I'd be really curious as to what's on drain plugs if anything. Regardless good luck with everything.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pretty thick skin and not bothered by stuff like this guys. Won't run me off that easy . Been doing the forum thing for a long time and knew how this would turn out before I even posted, thus my 1st paragraph on my 1st post.

My opinion on this really doesn't matter. It's an opinion and needs to be checked out to verify. Being in this industry I know the damage forums have on a company and there's NO reason for me to get involved publically past the lifters. You're damn skippy I posted in here to stand up for my product...the information being spouted was blatantly wrong. I felt the need to correct it. No where did I say I found out about this yesterday, as Tim pointed out he's been talking to me about this since the beginning. Anybody who has dealt with our company or myself knows we don't run from problems. We figure it out, make improvements, and offer the solution. Issues will always pop up in this industry, although sometimes costly, but they allow you to rectify a weakness and improve the product. Answering some of those questions would have turned into another round of responses saying I was bashing a competitors product. Which is the last thing I'm trying to do. We both make quality performance lifters. Having options is great and as a consumer you should be happy to have different companies competing to be the "best". That's how we make more reliable horsepower...technological advancements.

The only fact on this particular topic is the lifters did not fail, or even show signs of wear. I've been doing this long enough to gather that information from the customer and photos. I'll know more when I get them in my hands.

Last edited by Havoc40; 11-29-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Comp parts didn't come from us. Interesting photo though!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd send one of the cams to Randy/ Johnson if they'll look at it. No sense sending 2 cams that look the same to CM.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does tims engines and mild thunder have in common?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc40
I have pretty thick skin and not bothered by stuff like this guys. Won't run me off that easy . Been doing the forum thing for a long time and knew how this would turn out before I even posted, thus my 1st paragraph on my 1st post.

My opinion on this matter really doesn't matter. It's an opinion and needs to be checked out to verify. Being in this industry I know the damage forums have on a company and there's NO reason to for me to get involved publically past the lifters. You're damn skippy I posted in here to stand up for my product...the information being spouted was blatantly wrong. I felt the need to correct it. No where did I say I found out about this yesterday, as Tim pointed out he's been talking to me about this since the beginning. Anybody who has dealt with our company or myself knows we don't run from problems. We figure it out, make improvements, and offer the solution. Issues will always pop up in this industry, although sometimes costly, but they allow you to rectify a weakness and improve the product. Answering some of those questions would have turned into another round of responses saying I was bashing a competitors product. Which is the last thing I'm trying to do. We both make quality performance lifters. Having options is great and as a consumer you should be happy to have different companies competing to be the "best". That's how we make more reliable horsepower...technological advancements.

The only fact on this particular topic is the lifters did not fail, or even show signs of wear. I've been doing this long enough to gather that information from the customer and photos. I'll know more when I get them in my hands.
It's really to bad you can't get one of the cams in question also. I would imagine in your profession as well as r&d you might very well be in a position to help others with the cams that are having issues. Is it possible they require different lifter all together to help prevent such damage which is possible however doubtful. Not sure what lifters and roller size is recommended with the purchase of CM endurance cam however is this a possibility? I'd really like to hear a comment from CM after inspection. That's what myself and others would really like to know. Then again CM is grinding to a professionals specs which is obviously pushing the limits however what is their limits that before saying no? I've read a lot of good things about CM however on the other hand as of recent not so much on the individual who is spec'ing them. my opinion it's gonna simply come down to the lift/duration ratio and hardening process.. However with that said I wouldn't move forward leaving a stone unturned.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by chancer540
So I take it MT don't like to run... Can't blame a brother for that. Heck I take a golf cart to get my mail. Lol.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Because I think Tim wants power and reliability like mild thunder has.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

spill the beans so i can call it a nite.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
spill the beans so i can call it a nite.
Lol. That's funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.