Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Do they make any 904 or larger body lifters, with say , a .750 wheel in a shrouded body?
Nope
Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

They do make Chrysler .904 Hydraulic roller lifters with shrouded body.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Registered

Tim mic your lifters before you send them.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This should be figured out before anything gets sent out or you may never know what the problem was.
Put a camshaft at half lift install lifters and see if it rocks equal amount side to side twisting the lifter back and forth. That will give you an idea if the link bar is correct. I have no dog in this fight but I just showed two link bars and one is no good to run. And I believe it's the comp cams bar it was wareing the lock rivets/buttons off the lifters. Actually lost the tie bar off one set of lifters.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
This should be figured out before anything gets sent out or you may never know what the problem was.
Put a camshaft at half lift install lifters and see if it rocks equal amount side to side twisting the lifter back and forth. That will give you an idea if the link bar is correct. I have no dog in this fight but I just showed two link bars and one is no good to run. And I believe it's the comp cams bar it was wareing the lock rivets/buttons off the lifters. Actually lost the tie bar off one set of lifters.
I just looked at the Crane Cam I have here that had Johnsons on it. The Cam looks like total crap. I never looked at it cause I was under the gun to get the motor tore down and block to the machine shop. There is 150hrs on the cam and lifters. This is a mild Crane Cam. The roller wheels on the lifters look terrible one lifter the bearing is going out. That was the first one I checked didn't check the rest. Decided to throw a mic on one lifter and its .001 out of round. I'm not measuring the rest. I'll just call them junk and not buy Johnson's lifters I was considering putting them in my 572's but that's not going to happen.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

When I measured mine after the first issue way back they were all dead on..
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been quietly reading and following Full Force's posts for over a year. It looks like I'm going to yank my brand new Bob cam and Johnsons out of my new build. I'll just throw a mechanical roller setup in it and call it a day. I'm not going to deal with this hyd roller nightmare.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raizorsedge
I've been quietly reading and following Full Force's posts for over a year. It looks like I'm just going to yank my brand new Bob cam and Johnsons out of my new build. I'll just throw a mechanical roller setup in it and call it a day. I'm not going to deal with this hyd roller nightmare.
Exactly what I'm doing. Im literally ready to assemble motor #1 of 2 and the block is going back to the machine shop today to get the lifter bores opened up and Jesel lifters put in.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I just looked at the Crane Cam I have here that had Johnsons on it. The Cam looks like total crap. I never looked at it cause I was under the gun to get the motor tore down and block to the machine shop. There is 150hrs on the cam and lifters. This is a mild Crane Cam. The roller wheels on the lifters look terrible one lifter the bearing is going out. That was the first one I checked didn't check the rest. Decided to throw a mic on one lifter and its .001 out of round. I'm not measuring the rest. I'll just call them junk and not buy Johnson's lifters I was considering putting them in my 572's but that's not going to happen.
I'd be interested in getting these back for inspection. Send me a PM and I'll get you a shipping label to return. We stand behind our stuff and if it's something legitimately wrong, we'll get it fixed. Having something .001" OOR is almost impossible for our grinders to make...centerless grinders just don't do that. I won't get into the fact that you can't accurately check roundness with a 2 point anvil mic. At minimum you need a 60* v-block and tenth indicator. The proper way is to use a machine called a Talyrond from Taylor Hobsin that run around $200-250k.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
When I measured mine after the first issue way back they were all dead on..
The Isky 904's I installed two months ago were close but far from perfect. They did vary. The Johnsons I have here now are a joke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.