Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I'm just really confused at this whole thing. Why did you build smaller engines? If I remember right someone told you the rod angles on a 565 were bad. So how much speed exactly have you lost over the prior set up. If I've read everything right it seems like .5 mph. Is that right? In your other thread you said you were going to lab your props. Did you ever do that? I tested stock Bravo 26's and then ran my BBlades labbed 26's and I gained 2 mph and 300 RPMs.

I just spend 30K and I gained 10+ mph over my last set up. But I added 55 C.I per engine, boxes and shorter drives.
Wow I didn't know there was so much knowledge so close up here will you come dial my boat in ;-)
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If straub had spec'd your build, you would have had 47 replies saying "call bob madera, he will get you straightened out with some new cams that will wake those engines up! "
Old 09-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Tempted to give it 5lbs boost and deal with Trs issues until I convert to 3-4's would be cheaper lol
Old 09-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Registered

Tim, I sure am glad i didnt listen to a few experts who told me to "leave your engines alone, thats about all your gonna get out of 454's"

I started out with a set of supercharged 454s in my fountain. It ran mid 70s. Here i am , years later, going 92.5 so far, with more in it still. Still 454s, same drives, same X dimension, same hull bottom. I didnt spend tens of thousands for new dart blocks, new stroker cranks, or any of that. I have yet to grenede an engine, tulip a valve, or burn a piston. Im half tempted to keep on pushing, to maybe have a 100mph straight bottom old hull, with power robbing drives, with 454 based engines, just because. If i blow them up getting there, at this point, I would accept that as part of development .

I cant tell you how many guys over the years, ive seen waste money, tons of it, because of bad advice, or simply choosing the wrong builder. I simply decided years back, im done listening to guys who have 0 experience , and simply like to talk on internet forums. I began educating myself, in many ways, and put my ideas to the test on the water. For the most part, its been working out good. Cant honestly say, ive spent money, to "go slower".

Youd be surprised how adding up little things, can make a substantial difference
Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 4,813 Likes on 1,365 Posts
Lightbulb

Actually it`s 2 boats you woke up dillweed .. mine was a turd now she runs like a champ , I haven`t changed anything major either.. those little things have a cummulative effect.

Thanx GOOGLER!!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Actually it`s 2 boats you woke up dillweed .. mine was a turd now she runs like a champ , I haven`t changed anything major either.. those little things have a cummulative effect.

Thanx GOOGLER!!
Last week when we were running along side at 6000rpm in those two old dry piped resin buckets , blowers screaming,, makes all the work worth it.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Yes and No, I pulled that cam out of a 598 I did and put one of Bob's cams in and it pulled 100 more RPM.

Last edited by Panther; 09-20-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I find it strange how both Gellner and Bob and even valako like to spec rather close split cams. Hmmm.
I also find it hard to believe how much power valako is making with such a small cam. Makes ya wonder what he knows that many don't with his NA 784 hp @ 6,000.
Highly ported heads and tunnel ram, ran numbers for a friend of mine thats a well known engine builder on here that doesnt have dyno simulation software yet for a 555 w good heads and solid cam, when i bumped compression from 9.5 to 10.5 and changed induction fr from aggressive open plenum intake w 1050 dominator to tunnel ram and dual 1050 doms and theoretical hp numbers went from 695 to 765, same cam, same heads etc, fwiw, would a guy want a tunnel ram and dual doms on a everday pleasure boat, prob not BUT if you were looking to go out, kick azz and take names it would be a option, Smitty
Old 09-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Getherdone I had a drink everytime you said 5800 in his thread and now I`m wasted!!! way to go.. hey I heard your dyno guy has some kind wheel of fortune readout for tq and hp? Got any pics of that space aged set up? Do you have to camcorder that instead of a typical read out? I bet it`s BETA still or did they upgrade to VHS? Would love to see it. Maybe it`s more like a carnival set up, when you hit a certain hp number on the big wheel you walk away with a stuffed toy! it`s consistently 20-50 teddybears low thou so you gotta account for that.

5800!!!!!

I only counted 3 times so either your a light weight or don't know how to count. Or maybe both. ALMOST as much as you change your avatars.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

And as you know, we talk literally a few times a week and share ideas, I hear "mild don't know ****" and all that, well you have helped me a ton, verified and helped with my brain storms adm yours, he'll the low rpm issue we worked out over 3 months of trial and error talking on the phone and sharing idea, not one person thought it would be what it was especially after dynoing, and I am 100% on board with "little stuff adds up", hence why I am looking at everything possible... 5 things add up at 8-10 hp each,.. That's a gain!

I will maximize what I have over time and will come out ok later like you and Dan, funny we are all *******s to some but overall prove again and again we are not dumb, do well all know everything? Hell no... But we can all learn more... No matter what you know.

I appreciate everyone's help and ideas and will continue to listen and try things as I can... I wish I keep my 420's and just boosted them lol
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Tim, I sure am glad i didnt listen to a few experts who told me to "leave your engines alone, thats about all your gonna get out of 454's"

I started out with a set of supercharged 454s in my fountain. It ran mid 70s. Here i am , years later, going 92.5 so far, with more in it still. Still 454s, same drives, same X dimension, same hull bottom. I didnt spend tens of thousands for new dart blocks, new stroker cranks, or any of that. I have yet to grenede an engine, tulip a valve, or burn a piston. Im half tempted to keep on pushing, to maybe have a 100mph straight bottom old hull, with power robbing drives, with 454 based engines, just because. If i blow them up getting there, at this point, I would accept that as part of development .

I cant tell you how many guys over the years, ive seen waste money, tons of it, because of bad advice, or simply choosing the wrong builder. I simply decided years back, im done listening to guys who have 0 experience , and simply like to talk on internet forums. I began educating myself, in many ways, and put my ideas to the test on the water. For the most part, its been working out good. Cant honestly say, ive spent money, to "go slower".

Youd be surprised how adding up little things, can make a substantial difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.