Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Ok guess your a lucky one all 3 agreed, only one other person came close to agreeing mine was ok one... Out of many
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

So have you decided what cam you are going to use next? And if so, what do you feel the advantage is going to be over your current grind and how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I like that build recipe that CigRocket posted

Winter goals, except with iron heads
Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep..
Originally Posted by endeavor1
I like that build recipe that CigRocket posted

Winter goals, except with iron heads
Old 09-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Yes, I really wish I copied your builds completely as they are the best combo I seen with proof of results, too bad I asked you Halfway into mine lol
I suggested a thread while ago that consisted of proven recipes for different sized motors. I.e: 502 cid do this get that. Didn't happen because no one wants recipes. For some reason everyone thinks their motor/ boat is unique and they need to reinvent the wheel.

Sure I believe in evolution and progress, but few have the time money and patience to be a Guinea pig.not pick on Tim but as a basic example.. How long have mistresses been around and how long have people been building 650-700 hp motors for them? Somehow I doubt Tim is the first one with those goals.

Imagine if he searched Oso before hand and found a recipe that hilly boater used to build a 700 hp 540 and that 3 others had copied the build with good results...

If that was readily available how many people would still be boating instead of selling their crap because they are tired of pouring money into it and spending their season trying to fix it instead of enjoying it....:
Old 09-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Probably something like this if a change is made..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559623[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by donzi matt
So have you decided what cam you are going to use next? And if so, what do you feel the advantage is going to be over your current grind and how did you come to that conclusion?
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.png  
Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Research mistress here with 650-700 hp you find like 2

Yes I do and did enjoy the boat all summer, every weekend besides 2, lots of fun and test and tuning , like joe said... Imagine if he gave up at guys telling him a blown 454 was a waste of time ...
Originally Posted by phragle
I suggested a thread while ago that consisted of proven recipes for different sized motors. I.e: 502 cid do this get that. Didn't happen because no one wants recipes. For some reason everyone thinks their motor/ boat is unique and they need to reinvent the wheel.

Sure I believe in evolution and progress, but few have the time money and patience to be a Guinea pig.not pick on Tim but as a basic example.. How long have mistresses been around and how long have people been building 650-700 hp motors for them? Somehow I doubt Tim is the first one with those goals.

Imagine if he searched Oso before hand and found a recipe that hilly boater used to build a 700 hp 540 and that 3 others had copied the build with good results...

If that was readily available how many people would still be boating instead of selling their crap because they are tired of pouring money into it and spending their season trying to fix it instead of enjoying it....:
Old 09-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Your boat doesn't need any extra emphasis below say 4500 rpm. :smile:

Nope, not getting to a point. Most of what you say above is along my way of thinking,

Here is a quote from 500 yrs ago that still sticks with me, even though I have gone against it several timesfor what ever reason, but then it pops back in my head, and proves to be true most times.

John Lingenfelter - "It's almost impossible to out cam a BBC." This quote was when 496's -510's where king of the hill and GM was just introducing the 502 shortblocks. Obviously we have to take this quote in a little stride, but their is alot of truth to it.
I cant remember the exact details anymore but a local guy had a non stepped 27 fountain, he paid a employee or ex employee of sterling engines to build him a "strong" 540 as a side deal. He got motor back and stopped by w cam card and dyno sheet, this thing had hp peak somewhere north of 6500 or 7000, it was a solid that looked like it needed to be in drag car. But motor made 700 + hp. Gets it in boat, wont pull his new 28 pitch or his old 27 any faster than his 509, borrows a 26, nope, borrows a 24, boat would rpm a 23 or 24 into the high 70s/low 80s but was a miserable pos
It IS possible to go too big, seen it, guys name is Todd Kramer , hes a member here, dont remember his screen name though, but he may have posted the cam specs here at one time, i know it was like a .740 lift w something like 268/274 @.050 or bigger, BBX heads that were ported
Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Yup, on extreme side. Case of too much too late. ^^^

Another generic statement - if a boat struggles to get on plane with a 550ft/lb motor at it's planing rpm of say 2800rpm, going down to 530ft/lbs at same rpm from a bigger cam/heads/ and/or etc, willkick your azz.

If you don't need much throttle at all to get on plane, then you can sacrifice if you have too.

Thus the quickly mentioned bigger single i/o's vs lighter twins (vs heavier twins)....obviously Tim's is not a light twin.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What was the difference between a 496/375hp and 496/425hp , mag engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.