Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

3", that's all that fits under my hatch, I did however gut them....
Originally Posted by endeavour32
Tim- what are you using for arrestors? I was loosing 3-4 mph with HP 500 arrestors compared to no arrestors on my 650 hp 509's. Like mild said above, if you haven't tried running it without them on do it. If you gain- you know that's at least part of your issue and a easy fix. I ended up going to 10X5 gaffrigs and that problem is now solved.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No, the time was not there or the parts... My Dyno session was simply to see if engines match and very little tuning...
Originally Posted by getrdunn
Also did you ever try different carbs on dyno? even any other 4150?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

This is why, slapping a 1050 dominator on a 330 merc engine, would produce unsatisfactory performance. Just because the manifold vacuum is very low, doesn't necessarily mean, more power.
I do believe I saw somewhere,one of the car mags did a test w/ a little 350,,dom actually worked,made power and they did have to jet down a chit ton.but it did work.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thinking plan, fix trans, I have forward still but no reverse, do not wanna run that way.... my buddy can fix in a couple days of dropping off...

go test boat, vacuum gage, also remove arrestor, hoping I can get this figured out before winter....that's the goal I think...
Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNaaMJsCHM
Old 09-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
thinking plan, fix trans, I have forward still but no reverse, do not wanna run that way.... my buddy can fix in a couple days of dropping off...

go test boat, vacuum gage, also remove arrestor, hoping I can get this figured out before winter....that's the goal I think...
I'd also set a baseline by running with the hatch off so if you do find a set of dominators to try you are comparing apples to apples.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Truth be told, if it doesn't have an ATI harmonic dampener, I get really apprehensive.
I agree there! My engines have stock dampeners and that is the next thing to go. They will be replaced with ATI's.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I agree there! My engines have stock dampeners and that is the next thing to go. They will be replaced with ATI's.
I did that last winter. Well, not with ATI, but replaced the stockers, with Powerbond SS race balancers. One of the things that concerned me, was being that I had a external balance setup, was the weight match of the balancers. I called a few shops, including the one that balanced my rotators few years back, and they said they don't balance a damper. Some acted like I was talking crazy.

I finally found a local shop, that I never even knew existed. They do in house crank work, heck, just about everything in house. Anyways, I called the old timer, explained what I was doing, he said sure, no problem. Bring the old ones in, and the new ones, and we can certainly check them against each other. He spun them, checked them, and they were a C hair away from the old balancers. No actual work was needed. Got some fancy computer printouts of the balancing tests. Cost me 150 bucks to find that out, but, I felt better about installing them.

I didn't feel very confident spinning the stock old GM balancers to 6000+. I heard good things about the powerbond units from a few marine engine builders, and Icdedppl's 540's have had them on there for a while now, with blowers and good results. They make them in a supercharged version, with double keyways as well.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/P.../#.V-PWaTXLpwM

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 09-22-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

that's a good price to ^^^^
Old 09-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
that's a good price to ^^^^
I thought so too. I basically wanted to ditch the 30 year old stock iron/rubber units, with a steel unit. ATI's are great balancers, but knowing that sooner or later, I'm going to outgrow these ext balanced 468's, I didn't feel like dropping 700 bucks on a pair of balancers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.