Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Something else to consider. You could have two roller camshafts, with identical .050 duration numbers, and even identical max lobe lift. The shape, or "profile" of the cam, can absolutely dictate, what the spring requirement is. In otherwords, a 150/400 spring combo, might rev to 6000 without skipping a beat on one of the profiles, while on the other profile, it might loft the crap out of the lifters and slam the valves off the seats.

This is why, millions of dollars goes into lobe design. A lobe that works well for an endurance engine, might not be the lobe you want for a max effort drag engine, and vise versa. The duration and lift might be the common denominator, but it ends there.

I have no problem picking out a cam from one of the big cam companies catalogs/lobe lists. However, the lobes design, is where things get complicated. Most of the major cam companies, have lobe designs, for all different applications. Drag race, street, endurance, marine, and so on. They invest the money and time using spintron testing, and other methods to come up with a lobe profile. This is not to be confused, with a cam recommendation. Designing a successful cam profile, isn't something you can do from your kitchen table. You can however, pick one from a list of lobes that has already been designed and tested and most importantly, PROVEN. Just need to be sure that profile, has actually been designed and tested for a big block chevy with steel valves, with conventional heads, if thats what you're running, and not a LS engine, or ford engine, etc. What is stable in a LS engine, might be a nightmare in a big block chevy at higher rpm. Typically the fix for that, would be throw lots of spring pressure at it, big heavy duty pushrods to handle it, best lifters you can get, stud girdles, and hope for the best.

I have a buddy who's heavy into street racing scene. LS powered 9 second car with a decent shot of spray. I recently saw on his facebook page, that he kept breaking exhaust rockers (jesels). I got to see his engine builder chime in , and talk about how "it is what it is" because of his valvetrain is aggressive. He didn't want to hear about actually fixing the problem, they rather accepted repeated rocker breakage as part of the maintenance program. I simply told him, that if you can't make a LS valvetrain stay together for a car that sees 9 second blasts at a time, I'd hate to see your "offshore engines"...Local builder too, once I saw his ignorant replys, I pretty much ruled out ever bringing anything to that guy. Everyone fails once. Keep doing it over and over, and you are simply losing.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Again, spend what I did and have thes results, I am sure 40,000 is no big deal to you or never spent it and got screwed, I am literally looking for info on what I will be doing..you said what you think, I say what MANY think and I am the jerk, it's internet get over it...
Originally Posted by buck35
I only said what many think in the other thread, don't get me wrong, I want every guy to get the most bang for his buck$ and truly feel bad for Tim .
Old 09-16-2016, 05:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If that was the case with me the "cheater" part failed big time lol

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Some guys do it the other way too. Run a hydraulic roller on a solid "tight lash" camshaft.

I've noticed some cam cards from custom cam guys, where the lash settings were crossed out, and handwritten "HYD" on the cam card. Wonder if they really are running a tight lash solid profile, and dont even know it. A "cheater" cam so to speak.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I told bob 700 hp and 6000 rpm, and asked for the parts to get me there, I am not even close, some guys here blame myself building them as the issue and CLEARLY that's not the case, they made 3 hp apart and .3TQ apart, that's a crap build huh? all 16 cylinders pump within 5 psi of each other, crap builder.... the results are not my building the results are not a good combo....

I was shocked at 5500-6000 results also, that's where it should come alive, that's why I think cams are just way too small....

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I worked with dean a couple of times. He loves making power and good at it. He comes up with some pretty good grinds with the help of comp. I wouldn't hesitate to call him. I've got a couple of his grinds myself. My personal opinion and experience on the 250'[email protected] is fine as long as your numbers are what you want at the rpm your running. I know we covered this before as to what is ideal for marine. You spec cam to make peak hp at your max running rpm or spec one that continues to make power 500-750 rpm higher than. If second option makes more power at your max running rpm then for most it would be a no brainier. Good flowing heads with the right size runner don't always like a lot of cam.

I am still shocked what little difference yours was from 5,500-6,000. Gellner was doing a lot of 540's a few years back and getting a solid 650 hp with custom comp grind and dart pro one 310's. Be sure and pm me what you find out from him to make sure it's not the same cam cause I have those numbers. He evidently has something new. Did Bob recommend the 325's? Pm me your ph number if you'd like and I will give you a shout.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

According to about 5 or more other people the cams WILL make a huge change... my carbs are 1050's, intakes good, stainless marine exhaust, those are not the issue....

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Package package package

Leave it alone or improve your entire package , maybe carbs, intakes, exhaust, and Cams....just doing cams Alone won't make you happy.

Good luck and you definitely deserve to be happy with your build.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

ON dyno I used 850 cfm of air....
Originally Posted by getrdunn
Bck 548 build loved more intake and carb. 305 cnc heads though

If I recall OP has some clearance issues. Might have to cut some holes. You know.

Be very interesting to put a edelbrock R intake with a 1050 dom
Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tim, just slap in a 270/280 @.050 on a 112 .700 lift spin it to 6500rpm and it will add 100hp. Anything less than that and I think it's a waiste of your time and money.

Do you have step nose cams in your engines right now?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's not even as much about the HP vs the potential disaster issues, yes of course more hp would be good and any cam bigger will help...

Yes I have the step nose

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Tim, just slap in a 270/280 @.050 on a 112 .700 lift spin it to 6500rpm and it will add 100hp. Anything less than that and I think it's a waiste of your time and money.

Do you have step nose cams in your engines right now?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
It's not even as much about the HP vs the potential disaster issues, yes of course more hp would be good and any cam bigger will help...

Yes I have the step nose
Tim, is your 0-60 time any better with the new builds? How about in the 1/4 mile?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

D, none of the above.... Lol

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Tim, is your 0-60 time any better with the new builds? How about in the 1/4 mile?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.