Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I make good threads lol
Old 09-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I thought that MT was a gravel hauler? Does he haul rocks or not, because this is pertinent to whether I follow his advice or. It.
I'm following his advice and will post results. His boat is proven that he has some sort of idea what to do. 468s making 800+ that have been together for a while and 90+ straight bottom. Where's yours?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I feel same way, 93 in a flat fountain with 468's not bad...
Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I'm following his advice and will post results. His boat is proven that he has some sort of idea what to do. 468s making 800+ that have been together for a while and 90+ straight bottom. Where's yours?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
#sarcasm

People call him a googler, gravel hauler, etc., yet he was the only one actually in the Dyno room helping Tim. I've only found his advice to be sober and substantial and the ad hominems here can get pretty retarded. And I'm just trying to get this to 70 pages by the days end.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 09-28-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:48 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Omg.
Okay, The motor was built at MER. I thought you liked and trusted him ?

That's why I pointed it out along with being a next step up so to speak from your engine, some more cubes,more cam, more head,more compression,and more induction.

Anyway, that RAge went 90mph + at 4500 ft elevation.

==============================================

I was not comparing speeds with your boat, I mentioned that because the 800hp may not be believable.

So...........forget the hp # quoted.......if you take a 25ft Rage, run it t 4500ft elevation, and it goes over 90mph, it is no doubt making some steam.

What hp does it take to do that ? I dunno.....I'm not figuring it out now.....I was thinking you'd look into this.

Some more cubes, more cam, some more compression, and more induction.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
#sarcasm

People call him a googler, gravel hauler, etc., yet he was the only one actually in the Dyno room helping Tim. I've only found his advice to be sober and substantial and the ad hominems here can get pretty retarded. And I'm just trying to get this to 70 pages by the days end.
Fair enough. My apologies then. Lol. I just know regardless of day job Joe is so damn lame her doesn't even go out. He's read every book on big blocks. His social life suffers for us to get great advice. Haha. J/k Joe. But his boat is proof even without being a day job the guy has a clue about how this **** works and what helps combos work.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I make good threads that age all of us lol
Fixed . LOL.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok that's funny lol
Originally Posted by SB
Fixed . LOL.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't haul gravel anymore, but I do still "google".
Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Truth be told, this stuff simply interests me, like many others here obviously. 10 years ago, it was simply about getting on the water, and boating. Last few years, its been more about tinkering, and getting on the water, to see the results of my tinkering .

I like learning stuff from others, reading books, experimenting, and so on. For myself, it would be no fun, to have someone spec out a package for me, and call it a day. I'd rather fail myself, then have someone fail me. My boat is far from a show piece, and the speeds it runs, are far from impressive by todays standards. Their is however , a certain satisfaction that has come from gaining 17mph or so in a 38ft boat, without changing shortblock combo, changing x dimension, doing any hull mods. Basically, just changing induction packages over the years.

One of the main factors I bought those engine quest heads, was one, my research showed they are a very capable cylinder head. Two, nobody really was using them here in our community. Three, the price was very reasonable for a bare casting. I had no interest in an off the shelf assembled cylinder head. I bought them, flowed them, had some work done to them, flowed them again, installed on the engines and ran the boat. Overall, the data shows they were a good move for me. That made me a happy guy.

The problem I have sometimes, is often we write things off, without actually testing, or trying it. Computer programs, simulators, math calculations, and all that only goes so far.

Its awesome when you have guys here testing and trying things, and reporting the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrbGDNR5Bxk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 09-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.