Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
The only two things we used was the exhaust and intake manifold every single other part is brand-new And if he was so smart he would have told me I need a better exhaust
Exactly, plus he knew about hatch clearance, boats weight and hull design, etc.

I have no problem with someone making a mistake as long as they accept responsibility for their actions and do their best to make it right......without NASTY ATTITUDE.

Luckily your in good hands now with the power of OSO!

Lots of good info and discussion on this thread and definitely great entertainment!
Old 09-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I hope for Tims sake, the issues he's come across, arent what they appear to be. If so, another teardown will be in order, more money spent, more work, ....

Maybe its normal to have a couple exhaust valve stem .050 higher than the other the other 6 valves on brand new cnc cut heads.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 467 Likes on 212 Posts

How would you know unless you measured the height/overall length of all valves before you put them together, like when they came right out of the box?

Is there another method to investigate without having to tear apart?

P.S. - .050" sounds like ALOT!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If theres a .050 variance in a brand new set of valves, i want my money back . If theres a .050 variance in valve seat depth, on a brand new set of heads, i want my money back lol.

.050 variance was a guesstimate though. Hes gonna measure things better tonight he said
Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

I thought the valve issue was addressed last year?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

That's a different thing.

This can simply be a casting flaw, or a sinking seat issue... I think I will be yanking heads tonight yay....
Originally Posted by phragle
I thought the valve issue was addressed last year?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Speaking of exhaust, and I have mentioned this too, many times over the years, take 20 minutes and make sure that the exhaust manifold ports don't protrude (block) any of the cyl heads exhaust ports.

Good how to do this with a manilla folder is here: http://www.stahlheaders.com/ports.htm

BTW: this is the good way to make gaskets, if anyone needs to do this. Obviously use sheet of gasket material instead of folder. LOL.

I know there are vids of making gaskets on line doing it this way, look it up if your not sure how hard to hit with the ball peen hammer. It is basically light quick hits around the openings....bolt holes and port openings.

BTW#2: If one hasn't checked intake port line ups, this is a good method too. I had a Professional Products intake long time ago that was way off on a few ports. Must have had bad core shift. And yes, I have run into it on exhaust ports vs header flange a few times too.

Found a vid, go to 2:00 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijlPwA7W29M
Old 09-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the seats. Pull the heads. .050 sounds a little excessive but not surprising. As I said earlier .025 on a set of Brodix heads after 1 season. Those were a $7,000 set of heads. Is what it is... Aluminum They will settle down after this go round.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Speaking of exhaust, and I have mentioned this too, many times over the years, take 20 minutes and make sure that the exhaust manifold ports don't protrude (block) any of the cyl heads exhaust ports.

Good how to do this with a manilla folder is here: http://www.stahlheaders.com/ports.htm

BTW: this is the good way to make gaskets, if anyone needs to do this. Obviously use sheet of gasket material instead of folder. LOL.

I know there are vids of making gaskets on line doing it this way, look it up if your not sure how hard to hit with the ball peen hammer. It is basically light quick hits around the openings....bolt holes and port openings.

BTW#2: If one hasn't checked intake port line ups, this is a good method too. I had a Professional Products intake long time ago that was way off on a few ports. Must have had bad core shift. And yes, I have run into it on exhaust ports vs header flange a few times too.

Found a vid, go to 2:00 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijlPwA7W29M
I like using copper exhaust gaskets. Fit them to the head in same fashion and hammer away. Takes a little more effort with the hammer. Then use a die grinder to open them up. Never buy another set of gaskets again...
Old 09-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

If that's the case that's complete BS for new or any parts... I never once had issues with many sets of aluminum heads car or boat, no excise for that as far as I'm concerned... I may be wrong but I never once heard of this issue for "normal operation" of a aluminum cylinder head.

That being said... My builds have sucked from day 1 and would not surprise me at all if things are all screwed up!!!

Originally Posted by Black Baja
It's the seats. Pull the heads. .050 sounds a little excessive but not surprising. As I said earlier .025 on a set of Brodix heads after 1 season. Those were a $7,000 set of heads. Is what it is... Aluminum They will settle down after this go round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.