Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Anybody running a well designed solid roller, see major lash changes at 65 hours with a new aluminum head?
I saw it when I had solid rollers. Lash tightened up about 5-7 thou after the first season or so. Lift was .636 solid, tight lash roller, about 190 on the seat. Crane Grind
Old 09-30-2016, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

I wouldn't worry to much about the seats at this point til you pull heads and confirm which is basically what I was hearing you say in earlier post. I agree. In regards to head issues I've had them myself with Dart. At least your AFR's bolted up. I've had darts that I actually had to put on the drill press and drill a few holes 2 drill bit sizes larger and still couldn't get all the bolts in. Had to send 2 heads out of 4 back to dart finally for replacement. And yes that was after hours of porting and blending and complete assembly.

I will have to ck to see valako is doing for routine maintenance on his heads and what he's using for seats cause he's got to be slamming the living dog chit out them. Hyd roller with duration close to 741 cam and 708 lift with 1.8's and solid lifters and springs to boot. You'd think he'd be yanking his heads at least every 25 hours but seems be reliable. Maybe it's the extra spring pressure that is actually helping rather than hurting as the lifters aren't lofting off the lobes and slamming. Just a guess...
Old 09-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Yep never told Bob what exhaust I was running or target HP....

Says dominators here but after the fact we discovered zero clearance, I can search for them emails also if needed... But you guys keep trying to pin this as all my fault... I ask you to spend the coin then have to keep tearing engines apart after... See how it feels... Bob may have done good for you guys... But clearly not for me, and I have backed up all issues with proven paperwork and such... That's what kills me lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559912[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by Panther
Not sticking up for him but when I've worked with him on combo's he has always asked me what parts I use, especially exhaust. We've reviewed combos for intake restricted engines and exhaust restricted systems. In a recent build, the exhaust was scrapped because the larger cam wouldn't have benefited from the small exhaust.

Maybe the limitations were reviewed, maybe not. I wasn't on the call when it was spec'd. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I wouldn't worry to much about the seats at this point til you pull heads and confirm which is basically what I was hearing you say in earlier post. I agree. In regards to head issues I've had them myself with Dart. At least your AFR's bolted up. I've had darts that I actually had to put on the drill press and drill a few holes 2 drill bit sizes larger and still couldn't get all the bolts in. Had to send 2 heads out of 4 back to dart finally for replacement. And yes that was after hours of porting and blending and complete assembly.

I will have to ck to see valako is doing for routine maintenance on his heads and what he's using for seats cause he's got to be slamming the living dog chit out them. Hyd roller with duration close to 741 cam and 708 lift with 1.8's and solid lifters and springs to boot. You'd think he'd be yanking his heads at least every 25 hours but seems be reliable. Maybe it's the extra spring pressure that is actually helping rather than hurting as the lifters aren't lofting off the lobes and slamming. Just a guess...
Since u have some experience drilling cylinder heads and it seems as though you are trying to get everything you can out of a pair of 565's there is horsepower to be had shifting the head on the bore. It is a lot of work but it is there.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Not surprising....nice lobes he has.
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-received_10207513480416402.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Tim's???
Old 09-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a cast cam
Old 09-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Tim's???
Yep.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omfg Bob.... You mother!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who's got the "agenda" ?? Hmm looks like MT and all of us bob haters are proving you cheerleaders wrong huh? How you Gus gonna make this part my fault!!??? Let's hear it... Boy am I lit right now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.