Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I will have to look

Originally Posted by mike tkach
tim,i have been following but not getting involved.is this your block with the cam from bob and on your invoice does it state [8620 core].
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm learning why Bob was very vague in descriptions ...[ATTACH=CONFIG]559922[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by mike tkach
tim,i have been following but not getting involved.is this your block with the cam from bob and on your invoice does it state [8620 core].
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-image.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Don't forget Orlandi issues... Funny lots of things were kept hush until Tim spoke....
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Looks like the lobes have some tracking issues on the opening side. I think that would mean, either the lifter acceleration rate if too steep , too much spring pressure, or simply, the heat treating of the lobe is no good. Even with solid roller spring specs, to do that to a billet cam, whether 8620, 8660, etc , shouldnt be happening. We arent talking 1000 lbs of open pressures like some engines run.

Im sure theres a reason companies like comp, crane, lunati, howards, arent doing .400 lobe on a 241 degree cam. But from the other cams ive seen come from haxby, mer, another diy guy, and now tims, it looks to me, like theres a serious heat treating process on these custom ground lobes.

But im no cam grinder. It be interesting to send the cam out and checked for hardness. Im gonna forward these photos to Mike Jones, and see what his take is on them. He actually grinds cams, heat treats them, etc in house.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Looks like the lobes have some tracking issues on the opening side. I think that would mean, either the lifter acceleration rate if too steep , too much spring pressure, or simply, the heat treating of the lobe is no good. Even with solid roller spring specs, to do that to a billet cam, whether 8620, 8660, etc , shouldnt be happening. We arent talking 1000 lbs of open pressures like some engines run.

Im sure theres a reason companies like comp, crane, lunati, howards, arent doing .400 lobe on a 241 degree cam. But from the other cams ive seen come from haxby, mer, another diy guy, and now tims, it looks to me, like theres a serious heat treating process on these custom ground lobes.

But im no cam grinder. It be interesting to send the cam out and checked for hardness. Im gonna forward these photos to Mike Jones, and see what his take is on them. He actually grinds cams, heat treats them, etc in house.
I agree 200% Joe. Something is definately wrong with the hardening on Tim's cams. X2 for getting in touch with Mike Jones. One of the smartest guys in the country when it comes to this kind of situation... Do you have pictures of the other MK cam failures?
Old 10-01-2016, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I'm learning why Bob was very vague in descriptions ...[ATTACH=CONFIG]559922[/ATTACH]
Tim what did you pay for the cams?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

499 each I think, paperworks in garage... 1000.00 on junk..

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Tim what did you pay for the cams?
Old 10-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Tim I just searched back for my invoice when I bought my cams, it had the same description as yours and part number, I paid $435 a cam, and they were the 8620 core. I remember that specifically. I bought mine back in 2013.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Is that all you got? Nothing describing the grind, LSA, lift, duration? I'm sure I still have my old cam card, I'll look and see if the core was specified.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have to find cam sheet, I had pics of it, gotta find them, or look at paperwork...
Old 10-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

Tim, I have a King hardness tester here, I can bring it over of you want to check them. I also have a Equi-tip tester that more used friendly, let me know. I will travel, will work for beers.

Also, this guy interrupted our dinner last night, how rude. (I was at the bar instead of helping Tim)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559924[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-20160930_203221.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.