Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
So, are these lobes that Bob generated out of a computer program or are they Cam Motions lobes that were picked from a catalog? I also have the question in the back of my mind... Is somebody sourcing over seas cores and selling $500 custom cams on junk cores? Having bought a few cams from Bob and worked on customers engines that had MK cams installed previously before I was involved. I've noticed that some of the cams have MK stamped on the nose of the cam and some do not. Are the ones with the MK stamped the magical cams? And the ones not stamped Cam Motion lobes?
I don't know the answer to that, but I have a hard time believing Cam Motion would use chitty cores, although anything is possible. It almost looks like there's some runout on the lobes in the videos posted my Tim, but its hard to tell with lighting and video quality. The first sets of cams I got from Bob were definitely cam motion lobes, or specs anyway, and they worked great and had zero issues. One set was basically a copy of the 731 cam, and the other was a decent sized tigh lash solid. He also gave me a great deal on cylinder heads, and I was very happy with the service and product. This was about 7 years ago, unfortunately he strayed from that business model and began getting more involved in spec'ing the cams based on things he'd read and heard in seminars at PRI, not through doing actual testing and development in the real world. Every single bad cam that I have removed has MK scribed on the end. At one point he told me he was writing his own lobes and the Kip at CM was using a smoothing program and cutting them on the cnc, later when this was brought up as being a possible issue he backtracked and said all the lobes were proven engineered lobes from CM. Who knows what the truth is. If he had been less defensive, and listened to what I and others were telling him years ago, and actually taken the time to figure out what the issues were, all this could have been avoided. It's simply not in his makeup to say he made a mistake. When MER yanked a goofy cam out that only had dyno time on it and was already starting to wear the lobes, Bob send just box it up and send it back I'll sell it to someone else its a perfectly good cam. I'd hate to be the guy that bought that one..
Old 10-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
When MER yanked a goofy cam out that only had dyno time on it and was already starting to wear the lobes, Bob send just box it up and send it back I'll sell it to someone else its a perfectly good cam. I'd hate to be the guy that bought that one..
You must be talking about these. Besides the wear issues, they weren't making the power. Swapping them out with different cams, one from lunati, other ones were howards, the power went up, as you already know this story. I believe that was when bob starting telling everyone, MER doesn't know how to tune a holley EFI, MER 's dyno is way off, MER sucks, and so on.

I believe once you had issues, it went from Haxby is the best, the guy is so awesome, to , haxby is a liar, haxby is not running enough valve spring, haxby sucks.

We already know I'm a gravel hauling troublemaker, who googles stuff, never turned a wrench, and is a liar.

Dam he is good at damage control.
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-bobscams1.jpg   Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-bobscams2.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alex did you ever get MK cams in Cam Motion boxes? Or were they all in the brown generic cardboard boxes?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You must be talking about these. Besides the wear issues, they weren't making the power. Swapping them out with different cams, one from lunati, other ones were howards, the power went up, as you already know this story. I believe that was when bob starting telling everyone, MER doesn't know how to tune a holley EFI, MER 's dyno is way off, MER sucks, and so on.

I believe once you had issues, it went from Haxby is the best, the guy is so awesome, to , haxby is a liar, haxby is not running enough valve spring, haxby sucks.

We already know I'm a gravel hauling troublemaker, who googles stuff, never turned a wrench, and is a liar.

Dam he is good at damage control.

nice business model and stellar customer service.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't blame the issues on CM, they are doing what the customer wants ie BM . Comp and Dyno Cams ground us some crazy **** over the years and would always say ..... Your on Your Own with that design guys. They know what works . The Cams in MTs picture look to have lifter perpendicularity issue or the Grinding Wheel on the cam grinder was loaded up , or improperly dressed for squareness , It almost appears that it was ground tapered like a solid lifter cam to make the lifter rotate!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
I wouldn't blame the issues on CM, they are doing what the customer wants ie BM . Comp and Dyno Cams ground us some crazy **** over the years and would always say ..... Your on Your Own with that design guys. They know what works . The Cams in MTs picture look to have lifter perpendicularity issue or the Grinding Wheel on the cam grinder was loaded up , or improperly dressed for squareness , It almost appears that it was ground tapered like a solid lifter cam to make the lifter rotate!
Wonder if that would put any stress on the lifter tie bars? know a few guys who broke some lifter tie bars with bobs cams. Never really thought about that.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
Here's my issue. I have a brand new cam that was mocked up in a block and spun by hand with checker springs on the head and the roller left marks on the lobe. 0 rpm 0 spring pressure. Oh and now that I've looked a little closer it looked like the grinder wheel was extremely coarse. I could have done better with my bench grinder. So, who's rectum do I put this cam in.

Last edited by Black Baja; 10-01-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts
Marine Kinetics Bobbby is an excellent snake oil salesman with a good amount of conman built in.
Great at never putting anything down in writing to bite him in the ass later.
Feel bad for Orlandi Performance, Brian was severely bamboozed to the point old Butt Hurt Bobby was pulling the strings behind the scenes and Brian was making phone calls to peoples work getting them in trouble, not to mention getting kicked out of here over it. ( mods should reconsider letting him back in imop)

I am however enjoying being able to speak out about BHB without having to wear 3 sets of flame suits around here finally.. he has cost many people a lot of $$ and pain and suffering.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
What that guy said. I've been saying the same thing for years now. I had avoided pointing out that Bob has literally zero hands on practicle experience in this field, because all his cheerleaders turn it into a chit show. After sharing info with other builders on this exact subject regarding his cam "designs" which led them to see past Bob's bs and realize what was happening, Bob began a smear campaign behind the scenes attempting to discredit me. That is why I started the cam thread earlier in the year. Unfortunately, instead of it being a learning experience, Bob's cheerleaders tried to distract from the facts. It doesn't matter what spring pressure, or how thick a pushrod you use, if the lobe isn't stable it's gonna wreck stuff. Also, when you grind through the heat treat on these cores to get your magic profile that you learned about in a seminar and tested on your laptop, its gonna look like tims. Send the core to Callies, that's who makes them. And the can test it. But I'll dave you the time and tell you it's probably been ground through the heat treat, like many others. I'm not trying to sell cams, or be the man. Just trying to save people hard earned money and time. I'm sure many of you will be receiving phone call from the con man today. Ever wonder why he won't post in public? It's much easier to lie on the phone and not get called out
I've been reading about this issue from Tim, and you over the past year. What really bothers me is Bob never chimed in once! A few years ago I was having Joe run some numbers for me. Then I get a phone call, saying I'm getting really bad advise followed by a dozen technical reason why the combo I was going to run would suck! I ended up getting into a year long chit storm of arguments with, Joe, Mike, Kevin and Dan. Never once did Bob jump in and say what I was saying was correct. Maybe because it wasn't correct. A little over a year ago I was buying some stuff from a guy with a Nor Tech up by Fox Lake. Guy said he installed a MK cam and lost 5 mph vs the 651 that was in prior. Like all of you are saying here, Bob had every excuse under the sun as to what he (boat owner) did wrong and that the cam was not the issue.

I've been a Bob cheerleader for a long time, but today that ends. If you make a mistake own up to it! With that said- I'll own up to my mistake of listening to Bob and not others on here trying to give advise. Then telling them they don't know what they are talking about, BUT being told by Bob to not repeat what I was told- or say it was he that told me. Whatever live and learn!

Last edited by endeavour32; 10-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
hey,I just called you the googler,,but at least you weren't called a janitor or best better yet,,doesn't even own a boat.Thats what was spread about me.
and I've always said buy off the shelfs cams,even if it is 20yr old tech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.