Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I've been reading about this issue from Tim, and you over the past year. What really bothers me is Bob never chimed in once! A few years ago I was having Joe run some numbers for me. Then I get a phone call, saying I'm getting really bad advise followed by a dozen technical reason why the combo I was going to run would suck! I ended up getting into a year long chit storm of arguments with, Joe, Mike, Kevin and Dan. Never once did Bob jump in and say what I was saying was correct. Maybe because it wasn't correct. A little over a year ago I was buying some stuff from a guy with a Nor Tech up by Fox Lake. Guy said he installed a MK cam and lost 5 mph vs the 651 that was in prior. Like all of you are saying here, Bob had every excuse under the sun as to what he (boat owner) did wrong and that the cam was not the issue.

I've been a Bob cheerleader for a long time, but today that ends. If you make a mistake own up to it! With that said- I'll own up to my mistake of listening to Bob and not others on here trying to give advise. Then telling them they don't know what they are talking about, BUT being told by Bob to not repeat what I was told- or say it was he that told me. Whatever live and learn!
What sucks is, you and I got pretty heated with each other, basically over Bob and the bs. We are local to each other, and generally , should have been on the same team. I too was bamboozled by bob's words, advice, and what not. If bob said it, it was gospel .

We should be helping each other out, to avoid issues here, and in person, as thats what boaters used to do. Bob did a good job of dividing everyone up. You were either with him, or you weren't. Either way, glad to see your post.

I think soon, the oso tech section, will be great again.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I've been reading about this issue from Tim, and you over the past year. What really bothers me is Bob never chimed in once! A few years ago I was having Joe run some numbers for me. Then I get a phone call, saying I'm getting really bad advise followed by a dozen technical reason why the combo I was going to run would suck! I ended up getting into a year long chit storm of arguments with, Joe, Mike, Kevin and Dan. Never once did Bob jump in and say what I was saying was correct. Maybe because it wasn't correct. A little over a year ago I was buying some stuff from a guy with a Nor Tech up by Fox Lake. Guy said he installed a MK cam and lost 5 mph vs the 651 that was in prior. Like all of you are saying here, Bob had every excuse under the sun as to what he (boat owner) did wrong and that the cam was not the issue.

I've been a Bob cheerleader for a long time, but today that ends. If you make a mistake own up to it! With that said- I'll own up to my mistake of listening to Bob and not others on here trying to give advise. Then telling them they don't know what they are talking about, BUT being told by Bob to not repeat what I was told- or say it was he that told me. Whatever live and learn!

that No-tech owner reground the MK cam and found all of his speed back plus a little. only changes were reground cams and spring changes.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What sucks is, you and I got pretty heated with each other, basically over Bob and the bs. We are local to each other, and generally , should have been on the same team. I too was bamboozled by bob's words, advice, and what not. If bob said it, it was gospel .

We should be helping each other out, to avoid issues here, and in person, as thats what boaters used to do. Bob did a good job of dividing everyone up. You were either with him, or you weren't. Either way, glad to see your post.

I think soon, the oso tech section, will be great again.
I sure hope so. I'm tired of all the 600hp 540's around here...
Old 10-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

The Cams in MTs picture look to have lifter perpendicularity issue or the Grinding Wheel on the cam grinder was loaded up , or improperly dressed for squareness , It almost appears that it was ground tapered like a solid lifter cam to make the lifter rotate!

Kinda looks that way, good eye!
Old 10-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Wonder if that would put any stress on the lifter tie bars? know a few guys who broke some lifter tie bars with bobs cams. Never really thought about that.
For sure.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
The Cams in MTs picture look to have lifter perpendicularity issue or the Grinding Wheel on the cam grinder was loaded up , or improperly dressed for squareness , It almost appears that it was ground tapered like a solid lifter cam to make the lifter rotate!

Kinda looks that way, good eye!
had some cams look like that,,sent them back and guess what they said,,yeah,nothing wrong.cams tried to walk out of he block.got new cams and no more problems.name company had the problem.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 376 Posts

as for hardness,was told buy bullet if you start to get down to about .010" or less when grinding,,your gonna have problems.pretty sure thats what I remembered.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Some of us been here on oso quite some time. For me, 12 years now .

I cannot say, that I recall, ever seeing a picture posted, video posted, of Bob doing anything. Building an engine, tuning an engine on dyno, tearing down an engine, rigging a boat, or anything remotely related, to what his website leads you to believe he does. Has anyone else?
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-screenshot-123-1.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 02:48 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I put small props on too, spun to 6000 and went same speeds... 72.3 mph best...
Disregard, tried to delete

Last edited by aex; 10-01-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of us been here on oso quite some time. For me, 12 years now .

I cannot say, that I recall, ever seeing a picture posted, video posted, of Bob doing anything. Building an engine, tuning an engine on dyno, tearing down an engine, rigging a boat, or anything remotely related, to what his website leads you to believe he does. Has anyone else?
I hate to say this but having been born a gear head and a lot of experience racing and wrenching on all sorts of racing stuff. I always kind of new Bob really didn't have any hands on experience. I could tell it was all text book talk which is ok but the text book only gets you so far and hands on real world experience is what really matters. I've been in and around some really bad azz stuff some was designed/ engineered buy guys that couldn't even read or write. So at the end of the day I really can't fault Bob cause he is what he is (textbook) and I had always really known.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.