Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-01-2016, 08:30 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,217 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I mean actual flow not calculations that's all
I'm talking #;s they have from actual experience. Owner of forum is pretty smart and very experienced...same for a few others over there.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The top plate on the flame arrestor. The nut sits on top to bolt it down. The nut is 1/4". Recess the top plate so the nut isn't the highest point of the arrestor. Same the with the bottom. If it sits up off the carb just make a flat plate. That's gotta be over an 1" between the two. Then trim an inch out of the mesh. That's two inches more clearance. You can also increase the diameter of the top and bottom plates you have plenty of room around the sides...
Old 10-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

So I can blow up the Cobra?? Lol J/K I beat that car as hard as I can every time I drive it lol

I might have to work this move Friday night so not sure but maybe... If I don't work
It's a ford broham. They don't break like this boat stuff.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I wondered if lowering it and raising diameter would still flow enough hmmm
Originally Posted by Black Baja
The top plate on the flame arrestor. The nut sits on top to bolt it down. The nut is 1/4". Recess the top plate so the nut isn't the highest point of the arrestor. Same the with the bottom. If it sits up off the carb just make a flat plate. That's gotta be over an 1" between the two. Then trim an inch out of the mesh. That's two inches more clearance. You can also increase the diameter of the top and bottom plates you have plenty of room around the sides...
Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gotcha
Originally Posted by SB
I'm talking #;s they have from actual experience. Owner of forum is pretty smart and very experienced...same for a few others over there.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wondered if lowering it and raising diameter would still flow enough hmmm
Just pull some mesh out. We only run with one layer of screen two tops. That's why you over insure you boat
:-)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Will try to, the person doing it is very thorough and I think my results will be much different this time, or at least right, really wish I went this route last time, buddy said if I can find a way to fit a spacer I should, worth a good 10 hp in every case he's seen... Gotta see if I can find space for it... New challenge lol
You might go from 73.2, to 73.3!

I pretty much suggested a dominator from the get go on this build. That thread was a whole nother chit show of arguing. You said no way, because you couldn't fit it. Now, you're willing to find room, to fit a spacer under your current carb, and worried your carb is too small?! lol

I think this time around, you might be best to do your own engine development. What I mean is, taking advice from 30 different avenues, is not necessarily a bad thing, but at the end of the day, strapping the thing on a dyno, and trying out various carbs, various intakes, swapping exhaust, etc. Sometimes, what looks great on paper, doesn't always work.

You know Ryan Retter is flexible with you, and will work with you to try different things on the dyno, and won't nickel and dime you for the time. Theres no point in cutting up your hatch, if its a 10hp gain. Now, if you find a particular intake/carb combo, that nets you 25, 35, 40+hp , you may want to modify the hatch. Same thing with exhaust. You might find 10hp from switching from your manifolds to a header setup, or you might find 50hp. That might sway you to looking into different exhaust, or keeping what you have. But, you gotta do the testing. What works on one guys engine, might not work on yours. BCK spent some time on fine tuning his intake/carb combo. He found what , like 25hp doing so? Thats not a bad gain at all.

We have enough of us here, that I am sure someone would be willing to loan out an intake, a carb, maybe even some spacers, etc, to try .
Old 10-01-2016, 08:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,217 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Since I have your attention fora second don't forget the manilla folder, port thing. It will be good info for you and everyone.

Last edited by SB; 10-01-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typing in dark
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
A guy or two over at http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org may know already. If not, by bore size, venturi size, base plate, and booster.
Mark is a carb genius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pulled mesh out last year haha only have 2 layers you see right through
Originally Posted by Black Baja
Just pull some mesh out. We only run with one layer of screen two tops. That's why you over insure you boat
:-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.