Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Raizorsedge
I only have a single. The thing that sucks is I just put it in the boat and almost have it ready to fire. It's been a big project. I did a complete bilge makeover, the engine, full hydraulic steering, K planes, and a new drive. I really wanted to get it up and running and play around with this new Holley HP EFI system. Oh well, I guess it's it's just another speed bump in the never ending project lol!
Originally Posted by Raizorsedge
I only have a single. The thing that sucks is I just put it in the boat and almost have it ready to fire. It's been a big project. I did a complete bilge makeover, the engine, full hydraulic steering, K planes, and a new drive. I really wanted to get it up and running and play around with this new Holley HP EFI system. Oh well, I guess it's it's just another speed bump in the never ending project lol!
We can all relate to the endless hours that seem to never end. Been there, still there and will probably always be until I'm ten toes up. Maybe at some point we'll be comparing notes on how to make our own personal antigravity crafts how to bug out into other dimensions. Ha. For now puff puff..

Back to your dilemma I would call bob and ask him wtf has been going on with his cam lobes and you have very reasonable and great concern running your engine. Bob will undoubtedly tell how Tim probably had his rocker arms tightened til they couldn't turn no more or something to ease your mind however but we all know that isn't true. Plus this now goes way beyond just tims. MT made note how many have just been dynod and not even run much if at all. Heck I even know of probably a half dozen myself. Pull engine and swap out cam with one of the several shelf cams mentioned in this thread. I'd bet 651 cam wouldn't be much less power and look at the piece of mind you'd have. I wouldn't wanna be changing oil every trip out and cutting your filters open with hopes of not seeing bearing batter. Why chance it. Just my advice. Try and get your money back also. What's he gonna do if you start wiping out lobes or worse yet perhaps destroy an engine besides say it something you must have done wrong. BS. Do yourself a big favor while you have the opportunity.

Last edited by getrdunn; 10-02-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Pg 97. Near a Q&A record ?
Was thinking same earlier. I'd say yes.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 745 Likes on 337 Posts

How many of you actually checked your new cam dimensionally?
Or
Are you going by the specs it should be machined to ?
Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If anyone wishes to do so. PM the following on your build.

Cam specs. Duration at 050, lift at valve , LSA , and ICL
Cubic inch -Bore-stroke
cyl head make and model ( AFR/DART etc, with runner size, etc)
Static compression
intake manifold make/model
carburetor make/model
Exhaust system setup
HP promised
MAX RPM desired
Dyno results if any Peak HP and Peak Torque RPM

I will build a list , of builds, and post them in a separate thread . This way, you can anonymously look, and compare your custom cam, to others cams in similar builds. Your name will not be attached to the build specs.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be interesting to put one of (if not both) of your cams in a cam doctor Tim.
Billy's old man's friend that does the flow work also has a cam doctor.
Pretty sure he only charged me 25 bucks to do the supercat cam. (Needed it done so I could sell it on eBay)

edit in..... It would also give you all the info as apposed to just duration @.050 and lobe lift

Last edited by vintage chromoly; 10-02-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

I won't fault someone for starting such a business, and in business mistakes happen, but if the high rate of failure is true, not providing anything special as advertised, and is toxic to fellow business owners than good riddance.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Where RMBuilder been??? You would think he would defend himself?
New job.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got 2 sets of "marine ready" heads at the machine shop now being gone through so that they are actually ok for a pro charged marine motor. Was promised time and time again they were ok. They were not. I'll probably use the cams as door stops or hood props.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I am very sure Bob hates me and rightfully so, I exposed him and don't regret it, anyone that thinks its my building myself is at fault is dumb, building errors show right away as we saw, parts errors show after yo make it past building error timeframe...

Originally Posted by getrdunn
We can all relate to the endless hours that seem to never end. Been there, still there and will probably always be until I'm ten toes up. Maybe at some point we'll be comparing notes on how to make our own personal antigravity crafts how to bug out into other dimensions. Ha. For now puff puff..

Back to your dilemma I would call bob and ask him wtf has been going on with his cam lobes and you have very reasonable and great concern running your engine. Bob will undoubtedly tell how Tim probably had his rocker arms tightened til they couldn't turn no more or something to ease your mind however but we all know that isn't true. Plus this now goes way beyond just tims. MT made note how many have just been dynod and not even run much if at all. Heck I even know of probably a half dozen myself. Pull engine and swap out cam with one of the several shelf cams mentioned in this thread. I'd bet 651 cam wouldn't be much less power and look at the piece of mind you'd have. I wouldn't wanna be changing oil every trip out and cutting your filters open with hopes of not seeing bearing batter. Why chance it. Just my advice. Try and get your money back also. What's he gonna do if you start wiping out lobes or worse yet perhaps destroy an engine besides say it something you must have done wrong. BS. Do yourself a big favor while you have the opportunity.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

DO I need to? I think you have everything you can need from me LOL

if not let me know...

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
If anyone wishes to do so. PM the following on your build.

Cam specs. Duration at 050, lift at valve , LSA , and ICL
Cubic inch -Bore-stroke
cyl head make and model ( AFR/DART etc, with runner size, etc)
Static compression
intake manifold make/model
carburetor make/model
Exhaust system setup
HP promised
MAX RPM desired
Dyno results if any Peak HP and Peak Torque RPM

I will build a list , of builds, and post them in a separate thread . This way, you can anonymously look, and compare your custom cam, to others cams in similar builds. Your name will not be attached to the build specs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.