Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much reversion is too much?? >

How much reversion is too much??

Notices

How much reversion is too much??

Old 09-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,281 Likes on 622 Posts

Are you gaining oil/water? Is the milky oil all up the dipstick or are you seeing condensation on the head and top end components after a long idle? There is a difference. I get condensation with my aluminum heads and low water temps. I use to think it was reversion and I had Stainless Marine TRS dry to the tip tails.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Scott, you could weld extensions on to your current tails, and make them fully dry to the tip.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got 540's with 500EFI intakes and cams. I bought some like-new Gil HP500 risers not realizing they had reversion issues. They're so low and therefore the drop is so minimal it's a wonder to me that they could work with any set-up. After wasting a lot of money trying to fix them I finally had the inner tubes extended through the transom to make them dry. Problem solved. They're a little loud, but with slip-in mufflers it's not too obnoxious. Based on my experience, I wouldn't waste my time trying other alterations or band-aids like timing changes etc. If your Gil manifolds have been fresh-water only I doubt they're the problem but they aren't hard to pressure test.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Just an FYI Stainless Marine sells an adapter to go from Gil to there tails. You could go dry all the way out the transom...
Good to know.

Do the SM tails for the Gill's have their 'Dam' in them like in their tails for their own manifolds ?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no silent choice on right ? if no, exhaust will need to be changed
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Would sound sweet too lol

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Scott, you could weld extensions on to your current tails, and make them fully dry to the tip.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
More timing the less cylinder pressure you will have at idle and it will run smother will act like a smaller camshaft.

You might be able to put a Daytona sensors cdi with a boost retard.

24* head hunter 598 at 10to1 I would run 45* at idle and engine would smooth out. And you can close the trotted plates down a bunch lowering cylinder pressure..
I run 27/28* locked initial timing with a 900rpm idle in neutral(6M MSD). It has a super strong idle in gear. Not sure if the higher initial timing causes more reversion or not, seems to be a little controversy about it. Not here to argue. I know there are better ways to control my timing, but this works and runs real well.

LE

Last edited by LAKE EFFECT; 10-05-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
Are you gaining oil/water? Is the milky oil all up the dipstick or are you seeing condensation on the head and top end components after a long idle? There is a difference. I get condensation with my aluminum heads and low water temps. I use to think it was reversion and I had Stainless Marine TRS dry to the tip tails.
The problem that arose this year was that the oil actually got milky after the extended idle times. The oil surprisingly cleaned up very well after running at operating temps for 20mins or so. I do however get some condensation on the bottom of my breathers also, which I attribute to the low water temps this combo runs, but those too clean up after running at temps for awhile.

I'm sure with the HP525 cams and the OE 500HP Gils that there has to be some reversion, and I figured there was. It just never seemed to present itself over the past, and I guess I didn't worry about it. I'll be looking into new risers and or modifying the ones I have.

LE
Old 10-05-2016, 04:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
no silent choice on right ? if no, exhaust will need to be changed
Nope, just OE HP500 risers from 98'.

LE
Old 10-05-2016, 04:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I plan on pulling the exhaust, inspecting and pressure checking both systems. I also had O2 bungs welded into all 4 risers awhile back, and I want to make sure no cracks or failed weld happened as well.

If all looks good with the risers, I think I will have some extensions welded into them.

LE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.