Notices

Reversion

Old 10-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Lazze

Unhappy Reversion

Hi all!
Yesterday i was out riding towards the ramp . When i was lying there and waiting for my buddy with the trailer i tried to start up the engine again. It didnt start up but in the precice moment i stopped the starter i fired a little bit with a sort of "funny" noice.
When i tried to start agin it barely turnd over so i stopped.
When i got the boat in the garage i pulled the plugs, and it was completely filled with water in all cylinders!
My question is: why did this happen? Could i prevent this to happen in the future?
Engine is a Chevy 350/300hp cam/461´s/stock OMC exhaust.

Lazze

Old 10-03-2002, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaking exhaust manifolds. Remove them & pressure test them. If they leak, replace them.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh boy not good. Make sure you get all the water out of ther ASAP. If you have not done so turn the engien over with out the plugs, change the oil and fog each cylinder to try and keep the engine from rusting. The cause of it being filled that bad I would look at the intake gasket going bad. This could have been happening a while however and this was just the straw that broke the starters back. another area to look at is for sure the exhaust manifold gasket btwn the manifold and riser. Good luck.

Jon
Old 10-03-2002, 08:15 AM
Lazze

I have pulled all water out and put oil in the cylinders. After that i cranked her up, oboy what a smog in the garage!!
The engine is to be pulled out and splitted anyway so that is no big business. The problem is that i checked the plugs regulary and they have been perfect all season( perhaps a little bit lean) so i dont think that it happened slowly. My first thougt was that the engine reversed in anyway and sucked in wáter from the exhaust side ( is that possible?). I dont think both exhaust manifols cracked that badly at the same time..

Lazze

Old 10-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Water from sitting on the trailer

You may have had the stern so deep in the water when you were pulling the boat out of the water, that the water went into the exhaust. I have seen this so many times.

When you're pulling the boat on the trailer don't shut the motor off until you're buddy starts pulling the boat up the ramp.

Just a thought?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Brad Perry

Could the starter have reversed (kicked) just for a moment when you stopped cranking. Maybe that was the noise you heard. I find it hard to believe that would be enough to suck water back through the engine, but maybe...

Old 10-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

Was it cranking normally before the "little noise" pop? If so, you probably did not have water in the cylinders before this. Does stock exhaust mean through the prop?

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 10-03-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:10 AM
Lazze

The boat was still floating when it happnend and yes i have thru prop exhaust. The drive was in upper position. Before the noice it cranked normally. I too find it hard to belive that the starter reversing ( and it couldnt been for long) causing it, but what else...
I talked to my mechanic and he stated that it was no problem to suck in that amount of water with only a little reversion, so it was propably what happened.
The only way i can configure to prevent this is to install closed/freshwater cooling including the exhaust manifolds.
This is what im going to do

Lazze

Last edited by Lazze; 10-04-2002 at 07:44 AM.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

I never heard of closed cooling including the exhaust Lazze. Is that possible?

BT
Old 10-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Brad Perry

Default SURE!

Just mount some 5 gallon buckets on the transom with drywall screws to catch the exhaust water and pipe it back to a really big ass heat exchanger!

Last edited by Brad Perry; 10-04-2002 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Reversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.