Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
milkshake on dipstick... what now? >

milkshake on dipstick... what now?

Notices

milkshake on dipstick... what now?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am certainly no expert but why would there be enough condensation in one motor to turn it milk shaky and the other one sitting next to it has no issues?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

If you run twins long enough you figure out that although they may have been built right next to each other with exactly the same parts, they're always different. There's a dozen ways a motor can get a condensation contamination. Fact they sit next to each other really is kind of misleading because they may have experienced different things at different times, breather off, dipstick dislodged, etc etc. I've had his exact "oh ****" moment. As long as it's in a dipstick tube, under a breather or even under the valve cover, but NOT in the oil itself or filter, it's generally good to change oil and filter and rock and roll.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on what side the sun comes up.. I have taken the cover off and only 1 seat is wet. ??
Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

So i spoke to Dave at MDG on monday, he figured that as long as it was just showing up in the dipstick tube with none in the oil filter or drained oil i'm probably fine (barring results of a compression test). I had enough time to fill her back up with fresh oil today and run down the river several miles and back, and it was back, milky snot on the dipstick.

I did flush the tube with fresh oil as well, so i dont think we're looking at the same residual milkshake. I could also see some under the valve covers (through the oil fill port, i didn't have time to take them off). My buddy is coming over to help me do the compression test this weekend, we'll know more then, and i'll report back here. It may be time for a top end refresh in any case.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

need more info on engines,also what exhaust do you run?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Did you get the oil hot enough? Do you have breathers?
Mine used to do that all the time.. especially with short run times.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

My guess is condensation also. Not sure what oil filters you running, but filters with paper elements can swell with moisture. Something to be cautious about.
I know Mobil1 filters use a synthetic element and I think K&N also does.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
need more info on engines,also what exhaust do you run?
I dont have all the details on the build, and Dave from MDG could remember the exact specs as he rebuilt the stock motors for my dad back in 2000 after he got tired of being passed by pontoons and canoes on the river. I know he did a full rebuild with stouter bottom end and B&M 144's, and in perfect conditions would do 79 on GPS with a smaller pulley (dave also converted her to bravos). Its been an extremely reliable power package through the years, up until now even, but its probably about time for a top end refresh. Exhaust are stainless marine gen 1 i believe (the risers go straight back after the bend, thats gen 1 correct?).

I will know more soon as i expect tomorrow or saturday we'll be able to do the compression test.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Registered

Thats what i saw in the dipstick tube and under the valve covers. Breathers, yes. Oil temp i believe got up to around 200 (normal full temp is around 230), it wasn't a long run. Hopefully you are right, its just that i've never seen this before in the 3 years i've been running it regularly. Will report back with more info thanks.

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Did you get the oil hot enough? Do you have breathers?
Mine used to do that all the time.. especially with short run times.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Registered

So... we got most of the way through the compression test before a crazy 50 mph wind blew up, making it pretty dangerous out there on the dock beneath the tube frame cover for the boat. Anyways I now know enough to decide the next course of action, I'm going to have to arrange a trailer & tow vehicle and get her over to MDG asap before the frost. Here's the compression test results we got:
2: 120
4: 138
6: 130
8: 50
1: 130

The plugs all looked fine except for (no surprise) #8 which had a small 2mm fractally looking christmas tree of corrosion gunk on it (i didn't get a picture as the storm was rolling up). Dont know if its a leaky riser/manifold, but that could make sense as cylinder 8 is downhill of the rest. Oh and when we took the rear breather line off, water ran out. At least there still doesnt seem to be much water in the crankcase, hopefully we're just looking at a top end over the winter. Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll update with final results once its all said and done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.