Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can poor alignment cause loss of speed? >

Can poor alignment cause loss of speed?

Notices

Can poor alignment cause loss of speed?

Old 10-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your speedo changed!...your hull with a 23 prop will not produce 68mph speeds. if your rpm is still 5000 with the same prop then the only factor that is left in the equation is slip....ie your efficiency....don't rely on the inconsistant data for your testing...use a GPS or radar.

ps...want your speed back....and more??..blow some shop air in there and whale on that spring...your hog out your pick up
Old 10-06-2002, 11:44 PM
riskybusiness

Default Alignment

If your engine/drive is out of alignment, you will almost certainly wear out one or all of the three: 1) Gimbal Bearing 2) Yoke (on the outdrive), and 3) Hub (into which the yoke inserts).

As per the service manual page posted earlier, you cannot align the engine yourself without the factory tool. Even then, it can be a tricky procedure with lots of trial and error, grease, and some practice. When aligned properly, the tool will "slide right in". Unless you've done it yourself before, I would recommend you let the certified tech do it, and do it before you log too many more hours on the boat.

I would suspect the prop is your more likely cause of problem.

Old 10-06-2002, 11:52 PM
riskybusiness

Default alignment/prop problem

I re-read your original post, and am re-canting my prop suspicion. If I understand you correctly, the only differences between last fall and this season is that the boat is about 5 mph slower, and seems to "plow".

RPM the same, you say, power trim working properly, you say, just plowing and slower.

It may sound crazy, but is it possible that over the winter your boat added some weight forward? I have seen situations where a tiny little rain-water leak over the winter accumulates in some unseen forward compartment (like an anchor locker without a drain---don't laugh, they do exist), or anything like that.

Are your trim tabs working properly? All the way up?

Have a good close look up forward in any and all compartments to make sure they're dry.

'Just a thought. Hope to have been of help.