Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Removing engine and transmission? >

Removing engine and transmission?

Notices

Removing engine and transmission?

Old 10-06-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing engine and transmission?

I am removing my engine and I have been told to leave the tranny bolted on. My question is, are there any bolts or other attachments that connect the tranny to the transom plate? or does it just slide back?
Old 10-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

Are these borg-warner trans you have?....I thought I was told that the drives have to come off but not sure,(I have TRS) I think there are two bolts on the ears of the tranny's at the transom area on the tranny's that would have to come out. I'd like to know the answer to this one also as I would like to pull mine in the spring to clean and paint the bilge....Fred

Last edited by fred; 10-06-2002 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

fred they are TRS w/ Borg warner and yes the drive has to come off but I dont know if anything else does.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Registered

Unbolt the normal stuff: water hoses, electric, fuel, etc. B/W trans has 2 vertical bolts at transom similar to alpha/bravo. Merc-trans plugs into gimbal housing. Easiest to leave engine/trans together for removal.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:31 PM
sroker

THRILLSEEKER

I am removing my engine and I have been told to leave the tranny bolted on.

Just pulled my starboard engine last month 454/BW tranny/TRS. Pull your drive, leave tranny connected. I kinda remember that there are 6 bolts from tranny thru bell housing then into engine block. There are also 1 or 2 bolts inside the oil and tranny coolers. Take special care to mark your electric connections.

Old 10-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was lucky enough with my Merc Transmisions to get the tranny back in with the Drive still on there It was luck I think. HOWEVER the BW tranny you will have to allign the tranny after you pull the engien no matter what so I would pull it as a unit. It can be a ROYAL pain to get the engine and tranny to line up in the boat.

Jon
Old 10-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I think they covered it

Looks like everyone covered this one.

Yes, you would leave the trans and engine together to pull the motor out. Depending on what type of engine mounts you have, you'll either have two bolts on each mount (rubber style), or you'll have 3-4 blots on each side (offshore style mounts). There are two long bolts that go thru the tail stock that mount onto the transom assembly, you need to take them out. Then all you have to do is disconnect all the electrical connections. Most likely you'll have the engine harness, batery connections, a few grounds, and not much else. Oh, and yes, you need to disconect the wires from the trim sender, and trim limit switch. And then the fuel line.

You may want to use a winch that has a tilt mechanism, it will make the whole job easier.

The only time I have ever removed the motor by disconecting the trans was when I cracked a bell housing in half. It was easier to just unbolt the broken bell housing and slip the motor out. Puttin it back in is a different story though, you need to do it all in one shot.