flame arrestor

Notices

flame arrestor

Old 10-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flame arrestor

Ok, I've been running a K&N flame arrestor. Well, at least until this past weekend when it caught on fire. Because the filter is now feeding the fishies, I need to come up with a new flame arrestor. I kinda like my old K&N and I'm strongly tempted to buy another one. I'm also curious about the other types that are out there so I'd like to get the boards opinion as to what type of arrestor I should run. Lets start a debate on size, cfm, metal vs cloth, etc.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happened to,the K&N?
Must've been a hell of a "sneeze" to light it.

One of my planned upgrades is a K&N system. I don't know if there's any all metal arrestor out there that flow sufficiently and without turbulence to be worthwhile.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, that's the big question. When I was first trying to start the engine (several weeks ago) I had a couple of really good mushroom cloud back fires. When the engine died, it just died-I don't remember a backfire. K&N said that they've had this happen a couple of times and that what happens is that the engine spits some raw gas up and it lands on the air cleaner. A small back fire then lights the gas and things get exciting. Mind you, there was no open flame. The arrestor was glowing like a cigarette butt. I was standing over the engine and couldn't even see it, whereas people with a more horizontal line of sight could see the fire.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amazing part is that they are CG approved. I had one on a 540 Ford (sorry for the F word) and it didn't flow as much as the 1050 Dominator underneath it. The engine would actually suck the filter in at WOT. Now , as expensive as they already are , I had to go out and buy a bigger filter element (6" high). I have two for my new 540 Chevys and was thinking of adding the filter top to those ,since they are now available in the same dia. as the marine filters. Only trouble with that the USCG# is stamped into the metal top if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Allan4

I have a K&N on top of my 509 and the RPMs dropped and the boat slowed when I took the filter OFF and ran an open carb. About 1/2 mph and about 50-75 RPM. I was pretty surprised, and pleased........

Old 10-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Allan4,

What size unit are you running? (Diameter X Height)