Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water in the hull >

Water in the hull

Notices

Water in the hull

Old 10-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the water? A diagram would be helpful. I am not disagreeing with Find Me (Thank you for the help on the IAC) but have had a bilge area on one boat that had a bulkhead anterior to the engine without a plug. Below the subfloor the compartment was completely filled with water. Most manufacturers have predicted this eventuality and made a way for the water to escape. Some have not. The cat I have now had bulkheads under the gunnels which would not let water pass. Deck cleats and other accessories can leak and allow water into various parts of the boat. Myself and the manufacturer cut small holes in the lowest portions of the bulkheads to allow the water to progress to the back portion of the boat as it should. These holes were then resin coated to seal the wood. I have replaced stringers, floors, and transoms. This is not rocket science. If a way for water to escape is made without affecting structural integrity, this is a good thing. The fact that there is foam in the compartment is good also. Foam will not soak up much water. Water destroys wood.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:41 AM
Registered

I have made a ruf sketch.
In the compartment 1 and 2, there is foam.
The one with moister is number 1.
Number 3 is open, the engine is monted there. Futher ahead there is the tank and vaterski-compartment.
There are no screws in the hull that goes into compartment 1 and 2. (so far I can see)
Attached Thumbnails Water in the hull-skrov.jpg  
Old 10-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Registered

OK, problem solved, start a small fire in the compartment and it will dry quick I would start by making a weep hole to drain it.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:56 PM
Registered

You stated that the compartment is full of water...how do you know? I know you said it lists to the starbird and you think it is slow but is there another way you know? The key is to make a drain in the lower and aft most portion of the compartment. If the bulkhead you make a whole in is wood you want to coat the wood with resin after all the water comes out and it dries. You also want to make the hole a size you can use a regular marine type plug in so if there is some unkown severe leak into the compartment you can plug it and be atleast where you were before. They make small plugs. You do not have to make a hole as big as your transom drain plug. Don't worry about getting foam out . This would be a lost cause unless you want to totally open the compartment and redo it (If you were knowleadgable about this you never would have asked) Do not drill through the bottom Sometimes you will open a compartment like this and find the wood is pretty shot. Cheer up. It won't deteriorate as fast now that it won't be soaked in water 24 hrs a day! After you drill a hole, get the boat in a position to let it drain ie. lift the tongue and put the starbird wheel up on something. If there is foam or other things in the compartment you may need to slide something in and out of the whole to keep it from clogging as it drains. In a worst case scenario you would have a leaking hull which was getting water in the compartment along with totally rotten wood. You drill the hole and discover that when the boat is in the water it floods that compartment but you cant plug it real easy because the rot already ruined the wood. In this case use epoxy to buildup the area and make a plug hole. If it is this bad your whole boat is rotting away and you probably need to know that. Water trapped in compartments obliterates wood in pretty short order.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for all tips.
I will make some holes and try to dry it out.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:56 PM
Registered

I just replaced the floor in a 17 ft runabout that was otherwise like new (25hrs use) The boat sat without a cover, and the water eventually made its way into the foamed areas which were exactly as you described for your boat. I could hear it sloshing around!

The floor was rotten, so I changed it. The foam underneath was the expanding type foam (light tan in color). This foam had soaked water into the outer 1/4 inch or so wherever it was in water. I removed the foam which was very heavy due to the water, and will probably replace it with a pour-in product that West Marine sells. I installed 1 deck access plate on each side under the swim platform. These access plates have a screw-in plug about 4 inches in diameter. If I ever get water in those portions of the hull I will use a Shop-Vac to remove it.

In your case you could install these deck plates, and try to remove the foam in that area. To install, you need to drill a small pilot first, and use a piece of stiff wire or welding rod to probe for bulkheads under the deck. The deck plates require a 4-1/2 inch hole, so allow for the stringers also when locating the hole. The ideal place is near the stringers and the transom.

With that size hole, you should be able to fit your hand in to remove some foam. Then you can vacuum out the water, and possibly use a hair dryer to blow warm air into the cavity. Be careful and make sure no fuel is around when vacuuming, etc., and you could use a piece of pvc pipe to duct the warm air in.

Good luck!
Bulldog aka Ronnie