Water in the hull

Notices

Water in the hull

Old 10-08-2002, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the hull

Hallo

I have a Sea Ray 200. When the boat is in the water, itīs leans over to the starboardside(3" diffrence). Between the outher hull and the inner hull there is compartment filled with foam. This compartment is filled with water.
I want to get rid of the water. Please help me.

The boat only makes 47 mph. The total weight of the boat is 3300 lbs. The engine is a 350 Magnum MPI.
I thougt this boat should make 50-55 mph.
I think I am driving around with extra load.

HELP
Old 10-08-2002, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

look around the hull in the engine compartment should be a little hole maybe 1" or along the stringers there might be a hole cut to let water flow. Might me a drain line PVC that runs from the front to the engine could be clogged and not letting the water out.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

I have seen compartments like this (especially sub-floors) which don't have anywhere for the water to get out. I have drilled holes in them when needed.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

If the foam is saturated it has to come out. There are not enough years in your life for that to dry. Start by doing a core sample and see the moisture content. There are also probes for this that are less intrusive. If it is soaked it has to go. You can live without it or replace it. Do this yourself as a Yard will soak you worse that the foam. It is not that bad and makes you very close to your boat when you have to open it up.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Registered

The foam, what sort of material is it? Whay is there foam? Do I need to replace it or could I skip it?
Old 10-09-2002, 03:00 AM
FindMe

Watch out for bad advise before doing anything. I have had this very thing happen on my Dads SeaRay, confirmed it, and solved it. What happened on my dads was, the bars supporting the swimstep, and the screws mounting the trim tabs were not sealed when installed. I happened on it preparing to paint the bottom, and when I took out the screws from the transom, water pissed out for a day! It also took approx 2-3 months of hot weather to dry it out... DO NOT cut into the botton of a SeaRay, the foam is NOT replaceable, or accessable without ruining your boat for good. When this happens, patience, heat and ventilation is all that will solve it. I bet if you start to remove screws from the transom, one of them will begin pissing all over... then, you know for sure you are outa the water for a couple months minimum... My dads is fixed, screws sealed, and no more leaks... 5 years after repairs (or drying it out). This is a fuzzy photo of a SeaRay bottom construction to show you where the water gets in. Good luck, and be patient! Anybody who says it can't be dried, has never done it... I have ; )~

Old 10-09-2002, 05:24 AM
Registered

Iīm thinking of taking up a hole from inside of the boat (beside the engine, from obove) and try to remove some of the foam and then try to drie the rest of the foam.
When the rest of the foam is dry, fill up with new foam.

What do you think of this????
Old 10-09-2002, 06:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they used a two part expanding foam, you'll never get it out.
I'd be looking into ways to drain and let it dry out. But first you have to find where it's coming in at.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:38 AM
Registered

There are some screwholes near the battery. There was a hole in the cover (right over the crewholes) when I bought the boat.
I think the water came in trough the screwholes.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:58 AM
FindMe

The only place for water to enter where you say you have it is thru the hull someplace. Water from a hole by a battery in the boat IS NOT an option (it would have to be submerged) or as they say underwater...If this boat doesn't have any screws in the transom for a speedo pickup, tabs, swim step, or any of the other things you can put back there, I would be surprised. That is the most likely due to the depth of the screws going into the open space for the foam... And pull out of it dude... you ain't going to get any foam out, and you damn sure won't get any back in. The foam is solid, and installed during the moulding process between the floor and bottom of the boat. I thought the same thing until a guy @ SeaRay in Phoenix told me to quit dreamin... and of course, he was right. The Phoenix plant has closed, but contact another SeaRay plant and they will advise you on what, and how long it will take.

Quick Reply: Water in the hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.