Mechanical vs Electric fuel pumps >

Mechanical vs Electric fuel pumps

Notices

Mechanical vs Electric fuel pumps

Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mechanical vs Electric fuel pumps

So, my boat is poorly rigged with electric fuel pumps. Not sure who did the rigging but the electric pumps and relays are screwed to the floor between my motors, toe stubbers for sure, surely was not DCB rigging. I am looking to tidy that up and also take care of a vapor lock problem I had last year. I need to make a decision on weather to just go back to mechanical (blocks have the provision) or use what I have and remount and replumb.

Give me the pros and cons.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

How much power are you making Jeb? I like the simplicity of the mechanical pumps, but with that being said, I just dyno'd my new 850hp engine with the Baker 7 1/2# pump and it wasn't up to the task. They are sending me the parts to turn it into the 15# pump and said that it will support 1000hp no problem. But now, I have to install a return regulator. Had I known this in the beginning, I would have just bought a Weldon electric pump and been done with it. I am sure you are already set up with a regulator and the plumbing, so it isn't a big deal to you. The Baker mechanicals are less than $200 while a good electric will be $500. If you go electric again, I would look at the Weldons
Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine are between 850 and a 1000
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have seen where the 7lb self regulated mechanical 6 valve pumps start dropping pressure at higher rpm. The higher pressure versions with a return style regulator, is probably the best setup, for a mechanical. Even with an Electric pump, I don't like the dead head regulators. Icdedppl switched from the preset style baker pumps, to the higher psi versions with a return regulator, and fuel psi stays steady at 7psi now.