Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Starter Bolts.... sometimes the break.  454mag-B1 >

Starter Bolts.... sometimes the break. 454mag-B1

Notices

Starter Bolts.... sometimes the break. 454mag-B1

Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Come to find out there were multiple types of starters as well as flywheels used
Ayuh,.... Chevy starters come in 2 flavors,....

The straight bolt pattern is for the 12" flywheel, 'n the staggered pattern for the 14" flywheel,....
Old 06-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

but all 454 came oem with large flywheel. I am sure somebody custom balanced a small flywheel one somewhere along the line, but it is the exception not the norm. that little starter I put a link to is a new type that will use straight bolts on large flywheel. which will bail you out if bolt isn't cooperating...
Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
but all 454 came oem with large flywheel. I am sure somebody custom balanced a small flywheel one somewhere along the line, but it is the exception not the norm. that little starter I put a link to is a new type that will use straight bolts on large flywheel. which will bail you out if bolt isn't cooperating...
To answer your earlier questions, it was the inside bolt on my starter, which is staggered back away from the flywheel. The outside bolt which was still intact (but bent) was right up at the front of the starter. Just to make sure I understand you correctly, if I use the starter you linked to on ebay, there must be a bolt hole location up near the flywheel on the inside, parallel with the outside bolt that will allow me to use that starter with the large flywheel?

I picked up a right angle drill and a couple LH bits to give this a go, but if that doesn't work, having this other starter as an option sounds a lot easier than pulling the engine to get to get those threads out.

Last edited by MTScott; 06-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Registered

Yes. Take 2 3/8th bolts and thread them into the 2 bolt holes we are discussing. If bolt doesn't drill, try my chisel-punch method. I assume there is not enough bolt to grab with vise grips?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Yes. Take 2 3/8th bolts and thread them into the 2 bolt holes we are discussing. If bolt doesn't drill, try my chisel-punch method. I assume there is not enough bolt to grab with vise grips?
No it broke off right where the threads start, so it is up inside the block about a 1/4", basically as far as recessed portion for the knurling on the bolt goes.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Registered

Ok, bondo's method may work. But I think he meant a 3/8th Dowell with hole drilled thru the middle.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The vibrating engraver works very well , even with the bolts recessed . you can place the tip on the outer parameter of the bolt , parrallel with bolt axis , and use it unscrew the remainder.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Registered

If only I had a vibrating engraver. Gonna give the LH drill bits a shot with drilled a dowel and a right angle drill.

Next question... does anyone know the proper replacement bolt for these. The common starter bolts at the auto store don't appear to be the right length. I've found metric ones that are close, but I don't believe this is metric.

I THINK that this might be the guy I need:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...8064/overview/

Last edited by MTScott; 06-21-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Registered

3/8th 16. You might be able to get them at big chain auto parts store. Call em, they could mebbe get from the warehouse. If not, 4.5 inch long grade 5 3/8-16 bolts. Then you screw the 2 bolts in till they bottom out. Take some white out and paint the bolts where they hit the block. Pull them out. Now you have the mark you have to shim them to. So they come to around a quarter inch of that mark.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Registered

I found these bolts at a local GM dealer, who had 2 in stock. Cost me 2.50 a piece. chevy performance part# 12338064:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...make/chevrolet

They seem the be the proper length 3/8x16. I don't know what the grade rating is. The hex head appears to be 1/2", but it isn't as tall as the stock one.

The boat dealer also had two bolts in stock that he sourced based on a volo-penta engine. They also appear to be the proper size, have the taller hex head, and have a grade rating of 8.8 stamped in the head. I still picked them up even at $11 a piece because it seemed they might be stronger. Looking at them though, I'm not sure if the knurled shoulders are as wide as the CPP part, so I'll have to inspect with my caliper mic tonight. I'm hoping to finally have a minute to try drilling this out this evening. My 5 year old will probably be looking over my shoulder so that'll keep the cussing limited (well, maybe).

FYI, orielly's stocked an extractor kit that had both the extractors, and the LH drill bits. $22 for the kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.