Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Smoke em if you got em! (Impellers) >

Smoke em if you got em! (Impellers)

Notices

Smoke em if you got em! (Impellers)

Old 10-13-2002, 09:59 PM
zoomba

Default Smoke em if you got em! (Impellers)

I finished rebuilding my Alpha 1 in my 22' 90 Wellcraft Eclipse/5.7, broke down and bought all the tools, bearings and shims set, seals replaced, preloads
set, gear backlash checked, many trips to NAPA, finally got it all bolted
up, pressure and vacuum tested.. fight it on to the boat, filled with earl,
shift checked, and flush muff on, ran the hose..fired it up, life is good,
letting it idle a bit to smooth out the idle as it had been sitting for the
better part of two months..hey, why is it over heating.?.what happened to
the water that it was pumping so nicely ? HOLY CRAP!!! Some #$%$^&* MORON
shut off the *%^$#hose...

I figured it may have been my wife, but no, Eli (8year old son, and a heck of a good boat driver in his own right)admitted shuttiing it off..."
What the ^%$#@.. WHY did you TOUCH the #@@@$ hose...how many times have you
turned the water on for me when I run the boat."didn't you hear the
unmuffled V* cranking along?." ..'' I wanted to wash my hands..'',,, I was
steaming.. gave him a little dope slap on the shoulder as I went off ranting
and raving..if you are going to pop your child, its pretty hard to do
lasting damage with a pulled dope slap with an index finger to the
shoulder....

I had been real psyched to launch, but I spent the rest of the day (well
maybe an hour) changing the brand new impeller and waterpump (smoked mass)
with a used housing and extra impeller I had around..PISS ME OFF!

Eli felt like the ****head ..he was cowering behind the house for a while..
I stormed around for 15 minutes or so, then went and found him.. told him I
knew he didn't mean to mess me up, and I wasn't really trying to make him
feel bad, I was over it..he looked relieved..

Sara later told me that she had sent him to apologize, but he said "NO WAY
not NOW...he looks like he wants to 'pulverize' me.. I'm not going NEAR him!
Smart lad.

Boat is fixed, he isn't crushed, I took some responsibility for not telling
him not to do the stupidest thing imaginable with the tools at hand ....his
buddy that had zipped his weenie into his zipper was watching the whole
thing..

I didn't want him to really think he was a total piece of s***.. the message
was please think about what you are doing and don't just turn controls on
things when you don't know where the other end runs..

I think they call this a "Lock out" Tag out" mistake in industry..
Hope it stops raining so I can throw it into the bay and test my work!
Attached Thumbnails Smoke em if you got em! (Impellers)-wellcraft.jpg  

Old 10-13-2002, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Nice story. Reminds me of some times my dad and I went through growing up around boats. Sounds like you and your son will have many good times to come with the boat.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Whew! That's a helluva first post.

Buck
Old 10-14-2002, 04:36 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zoomba,
When my son was 12 , he "HELPED" me at the ramp while launching. He reversed the rachet on the winch BEFORE I backed down the ramp (with a roller trailer)
Well , part way down the ramp I heard what sounded like rumble strips on the highway. So what do I do? Hit the brakes...check the left mirror...check the right mirror... all ok. Check the inside mirror just in time to see the bow going up in the air and the boat slide off the trailer. Luckily , at he time it was only a 17 bowrider with an outboard. Just scuffed the bottom at the stern and scraped the gear case a little.
Ah kids , don't ya just love 'em?

PS He didn't get punished either. Guess what , we still laugh at it today
Old 10-14-2002, 09:40 PM
zoomba

Cool

Launched my Wellcraft in Casco Bay Maine, 15-25kt breeze, 50 degree air.. the landing ramp was closed as they were taking the floats out, had to sneak into the yachtclub.. no floats so I did the 100' bowline tied to the trailer, and a brake slam one man launch..It was a little strange launching as all the normal people were taking out..lots of blow boaters derigging..

Big chop, offshore breeze and incoming tide and swell made for some big (3-4') standing waves and whitecaps in the gut.. beautiful sunny day, the speedo was reading only 45 mph, but the tach was spinning 4500, and when I dug out the GPS I got 51.3 mph, slow for you serious BB boyz on this list, but as fast as my stock Alpha/5.7 carb power has ever run.

Idled around (honest)in the anchorages(you can get away with some serious speed this time of year as the harbormaster is in his shack).. then out into the chop for some speed runs.. jumped a few lobster boat and ferry wakes, got a few facefuls of icy salt water.
Had a nice afternoon bouncing around in the slop, decided to put her on the mooring as all seemed well. I know its the end of the season, but I'm not ready! It broke in mid August, and I was Jonesing hard for a boat fix!

I totally rebuilt the drive in my basement, the drive shifts, reverse works, the lube is staying at the right level..it foamed a little when I ran it hard, tiny bubbles floated to the top 1/2" of the oil in the clear reservoir, but no water, I think that was just the air coming out of the drive after the fill, and the air in the hose to the reservoir..put a good solid hour on the boat and it seems like it doesn't want to grenade.. I'll keep my fingers crossed, it isn't heating up or grinding, and it held both 15lbs pressure overnight, and vacuum for 1/2 hour as well, with no oil in it. The gear contact pattern looked good, and I followed the Seloc book procedures to the letter. Anyone else tried rebuilding thier own drives? I figured if I did it I would be more likely to reseal it next time before it lets water in. The cost should be less than $100 now that I have the tools, and the experience. It really isn't a bad job once you have all the special wrenches.

I'll pull it off the mooring in a few weeks, and keep it ready for December 1, and scallop diving season..these sportboats make great high speed dive platforms, and those diver scallops can measure 3" across..not the shell, the actual part you eat! Nothing like em', spoils you for the commercial stuff!

Freshwater cooling is the nuts for these northern climates.. you can just drain the heat exchanger and risers and PS cooler in about 5 minutes, and leave the boat ready to run for a late season ride without fear of a freeze up as you run 50/50 anitfreeze in the block and manifolds..sure prolongs engine life too.

Boating season isn't over till we say it is!

Dave Leonard.. back on the bay!