Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need to pull motors on trailer in driveway. >

Need to pull motors on trailer in driveway.

Notices

Need to pull motors on trailer in driveway.

Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my port engine pulled last friday.
I used a tow truck to do the job.
Easiest way I've found to get the job done.
Cost me 40bucks........sweet huh?
Old 10-16-2002, 05:33 AM
jr

I pulled mine out with a swing set looking thing I made. 12 foot long 4x4s for legs, 3 10 foot 2x8's nailed together for a cross piece and bolted all together with 1/2 carrage bolts, and a 1 ton chain fall. I cost about 50 bucks to make, but I used it to pull them and put them back in. It worked great but was an SOB to stand up.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Default New Baltimore IS in Michigan . . . DUDE!

Originally posted by KAAMA
Dyno,

Yeah well, that's a heck of a lot closer than New Baltimore dude!

1stInstigator, just stop on over here to Michigan---Dyno says it's a walk in the park, and me and Team Chaos AKA Double D engines will yank'em right out for ya!
I'm over here on Lake St. Clair, the new 6th Great Lake!

It's sounding like the Tow Truck idea is the best, easiest & most reasonable. Time to start getting aquainted w/local towing companies!
Old 10-16-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Okay! Well, Dyno is going to have fun with that one. I guess it's apparent that I don't make it to the East side of the state much.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:34 AM
OBX
Registered

One of the guys I work with used a standard "portable" engine lift to lift the engine out of his boat. He set the engine lift in the bed of his pickup truck (to get the extra height) and weighed the lift down with "numerous" concrete blocks. It worked, but I'm not sure I would try that, myself. (By the way, he said if he did it that way again, he would use more concrete blocks, so I think that speaks to what almost happened.)

I used a forklift to lift the engine out of my 24 Outlaw. So did a buddy of mine. I think that's the most secure.

Good luck!
Mike
Old 10-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaama you got to use the profile function Dude!!!I know its a stretch but you know me always trying to help!!!!! I like the Cherry picker in a truck bed idea you could fabricate some hold downs pretty easy and nix the blocks.....
Old 10-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

1stINSTIGATOR, Do you have the black Sonic with blue stripes?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:41 AM
doug hess

We have a big oak tree next to where the boat is stored in the yard. Took a 20 foot lenght of 1 1/2" pipe and rigged it for pure compressing (support wire rope or chain from tree to same point on pipe as vertical lift point). Used an eye bolt pivot to attach bottom of pipe to tree. Then chain hoist or come-along for lifting.

I used it for heavy GM 292/Merc 200 6 cyl engines. My son found taking GM 350s out his car was a breeze.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:50 PM
doug hess

We have a big oak tree next to where the boat is stored in the yard. Took a 20 foot lenght of 1 1/2" pipe and rigged it for pure compressing (support wire rope or chain from tree to same point on pipe as vertical lift point). Used an eye bolt pivot to attach bottom of pipe to tree. Then chain hoist or come-along for lifting.

I used it for heavy GM 292/Merc 200 6 cyl engines. My son found taking GM 350s out his car was a breeze.

Old 10-24-2002, 02:29 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've done this twice. The first time I used a tow truck. I was a little worried about the reach with a regular truck, so I used one of the larger ones like used for a semi. The second time I used an excavator with the chain attatched to the bucket. Both worked great, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use either one. I was lucky enough to have access to both but imagine the tow truck would be easier and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Need to pull motors on trailer in driveway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.