Bravo Drive - No Forward

Notices

Bravo Drive - No Forward

Old 11-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rhino,
The case started life as a regular Bravo. I had a SS tower installed and Imco gears and shafts. The gears failed, so I had Merc Diesel gears installed, then the XR's. The input yoke is welded to a large spine to accept the XR pinion gear. That way the case is thicker where the input retainer nut is (stronger). I talked to Billet Marine and he makes a yoke with the small ujoint and large shaft for the XR. So I may replace the welded one. Max Works also is working on such a piece. Max also has a trick seal retainer that uses a double lip seal. Not sure if that is necessary. But the Merc seal fix for the XR wont fit my case.
At some point this summer the pinion bearing in the lower broke. I found a piece of the bearing race wedged between the bearing and the pinion gear. It is a special caged bearing from Imco and uses a different size sleeve on the vertical shaft. I have been told I can replace that sleeve and use the Merc bearing. If not, I will use the same type of bearing.
Yes it will be a learning experience, but it has run for 50hrs this season. So the parts fit, I just have to make sure the setup is correct.
I received some tools tonite from the Big Brown truck and I am hoping to remove the bearings so I can get part numbers off them. I will hook up with the member in the other thread that said he could do a deal on bearings..
I will keep you posted as to my progress. Thanks again for your help..

Dick
Old 11-01-2002, 08:13 PM
rhino

Very interesting, I had no idea they made a special yoke. The Merc pinion bearing number is 31-86754T. I kind of like the caged after market one though it runs a bit hotter do to having fewer rollers. i think just using 680 loc-tite and get rid of that dfamn bore-tite is the way to go. MWM does make some cool stuff though some of it is overkill. The Merc pinion bearing can be a real BEAR to remove ,use the guide and plenty of heat. It easy to break out the bottom of bearing. Why the hell is that race so thin??