Bravo Drive - No Forward >

Bravo Drive - No Forward

Notices

Bravo Drive - No Forward

Old 10-15-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 260 Posts
Angry Bravo Drive - No Forward

Just winterized the Fountain and decided to take my family for a ride in the deckboat. Rinker Flotilla with 5.7/Bravo III. Going down the lake at 3000 rpm and the thing revs up and stops going forward. Dink around with it and find that it will go in reverse and back up but does not even begin to go in forward. Raise the lower unit and see that the props are turning (forward) but when you give it the gas it just revs up the engine. Shut it down and grap the props and it acts like it is in gear. Had to tow it 8 miles home, put it on the lift and now it does not even turn the props in forward (engine running). Has any one ever replaced the clutch assembly in a Bravo drive? What about the upper gear set? Looks like it is fairly simple. What else could be causing this to happen. Is it possible that the shifter assembly has broken?.
No clunking or grinding noises, just does not go in gear. My first mate is ticked off, wanted to do some fall foilage cruising this fall.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Helmwurst
Old 10-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check the drive coupler before tearing down your bravo. Just look over the engine, when idling the drive input shaft should be turning always..... I hope thats your problem, easy fix & inexpensive.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had two similar experiances. Once it was the shift linkage back at the engine that was out of adjustment and once it was the cladding on the shift wire from the engine down to the drive that was broken between the transom assembly and the drive.Worth a look
Old 10-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

Ditto for me on the cladding on the shift wire. Had reverse but no forward. Made docking fun

Somehow, mine got worn away rubbing against the coupling.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Brad Perry

Me too on the out of adjustment shift cable. And then there was once when the mechanic used an incompatible shift fork with the wrong clutch..........

The part that is wierd is that it happened at speed. When producing thrust, the torque of the upper gear drives the clutch into it. A maladjusted cable shouldn't cause this I wouldn't think.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Registered

I'm with Mats. 3 weeks ago my Bravo got stuck in reverse. Drive shift cable housing broke at the drive.
Sierra has a kit with cable, clamps and bellows for around $100
Old 10-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

hope smthning simple happened and you fix it soon without spending 2 much$$
Old 10-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Registered

Sounds like you could have broken the floor out of the forward gear. I did this on my fountain. It would go in reverse but not forward. Good luck
Old 10-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 103 Posts

check outer shift cable housing at the outdrive, could be broken. yours is doing what mine did and thats what it was
Old 10-16-2002, 10:13 PM
toonatime

Same thing 2 weeks ago.. shift cable hsg etc. but pull drive because cause was a gasket in drive out of place allowed water
to get in shift mechanism in drive making hard to shift and then broke cable ..

Quick Reply: Bravo Drive - No Forward

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.